5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Does anyone know if there is a way, or a utility that I can download, that lets me erase CD-R cd-roms so that they can be written to again. I have a bunch of them and I would like to backup some old floppies to them and if I could somehow get rid of what is on them then I can reuse them, otherwise they go in the landfill site - not something I am greatly in favour of. Any help that anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated by me and the landfill. Thanks.

Ron M

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron M View Post
    Does anyone know if there is a way, or a utility that I can download, that lets me erase CD-R cd-roms so that they can be written to again. I have a bunch of them and I would like to backup some old floppies to them and if I could somehow get rid of what is on them then I can reuse them, otherwise they go in the landfill site - not something I am greatly in favour of. Any help that anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated by me and the landfill. Thanks.

Ron M
    CD-R is write once technology. You can't erase and start over. Use a screwdriver to multilate them or break them.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    You can't erase the contents of a CD-R disk, you'd need a CD-RW disk for that.

There is software that lets you write to a CD-R several times ("multi-session"), but each time the new data will be appended to the existing data, until the disk is full.