2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Right.
    I have a question concerning this new Windows Update.
    I usually wait for Woody to change the DEFCON to 4 before I install the Black Tuesday patches and I had a bunch of them sitting there waiting when this Windows Agent update appeared on my computer on the 29th of October and installed itself in spite of the fact that I keep my Windows Update settings set to 'notify but don't download'.
    It upgraded my Windows Update window to something new.

Once the new version had installed, I found I had 12 'important' updates rather than 9, and of those 12, only 10 were selected for download.
    I'm confused. Should I leave the selection as it is and download and install just what it ticked? If that's the case, why are the other two there?
    Thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peppurr101 View Post

Once the new version had installed, I found I had 12 'important' updates rather than 9, and of those 12, only 10 were selected for download.
    I'm confused. Should I leave the selection as it is and download and install just what it ticked? If that's the case, why are the other two there?
    Thanks
    Microsoft has stated that when you use Windows Update if there is an update to Windows Update that will be installed regardless of your autoupdate settings. Microsoft has said that these updates are required to kepp WU funtioning properly. This has caused a commotion in some quarters.

What you are observing with more important updates could be improved detection rules. Could be new hotfixes that were released.

I'd install what is selected then run WU again to see if there is anything else detected.

As far as the "other two" go, are you sure they are classified as important and not optional?

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperez View Post
    Microsoft has stated that when you use Windows Update if there is an update to Windows Update that will be installed regardless of your autoupdate settings. Microsoft has said that these updates are required to kepp WU funtioning properly. This has caused a commotion in some quarters.

What you are observing with more important updates could be improved detection rules. Could be new hotfixes that were released.

I'd install what is selected then run WU again to see if there is anything else detected.

As far as the "other two" go, are you sure they are classified as important and not optional?

Joe
    Hi Joe,

After creating a system restore point, I downloaded and installed the 10 updates that were ticked. So far, so good. The unticked updates remain, but windows update says nothing needs to be installed.

The two that were not ticked were one 'important' update for IE 8, KB974455 which I have read on Woody's page was one that had problems, which might be why it was not ticked- but why still offered? The other was KB971644 a 'recommended' Windows 'Platform' update.

Of the 10 I did download and install, 7 were 'important' and 3 'recommended' which I didn't see till I looked in the update history after the download completed. No optional updates were listed.

I can understand the consternation. The upgrade for the Windows update was stealth. It never set off my UAC and even after it downloaded and installed, there was no indication for me to restart my computer to complete installation. I found that out after a routine shutdown and restart. I might have been hanging around Woody's site too much, but that sort of thing disturbs me.
    Even though the update window shows a green light, the system tray icon is still there so I have hidden the two remaining, unticked updates to make it go away..

Thank you again for your help..

Administrator
    Thanks
    The two that were not ticked were one 'important' update for IE 8, KB974455 which I have read on Woody's page was one that had problems, which might be why it was not ticked- but why still offered? The other was KB971644 a 'recommended' Windows 'Platform' update.

Of the 10 I did download and install, 7 were 'important' and 3 'recommended' which I didn't see till I looked in the update history after the download completed. No optional updates were listed.
    How Windows Update treats recommended updates is a user decision. Check your WU settings.

I'm not sure why the IE8 update is not being selected. I've installed it on the Vista machine for which I'm repsonsible. If you do install MS09-054: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer you should be offered An update is available for Internet Explorer that resolves issues that occur after you apply security update 974455 (MS09-054). You should install it also.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Right.
    I have a question concerning this new Windows Update.
    I usually wait for Woody to change the DEFCON to 4 before I install the Black Tuesday patches and I had a bunch of them sitting there waiting when this Windows Agent update appeared on my computer on the 29th of October and installed itself in spite of the fact that I keep my Windows Update settings set to 'notify but don't download'.

Thanks
    I DID notice ( with the last updates ) that my choice of update checks was changed from just Windows Updates to Microsoft Updates. I didn't ask for the change nor select MS Updates but there it was.
    I had to go back into updates and change the selection back to only Windows Updates. I like to keep my updates separated.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by viking33 View Post
    I DID notice ( with the last updates ) that my choice of update checks was changed from just Windows Updates to Microsoft Updates. I didn't ask for the change nor select MS Updates but there it was.
    I had to go back into updates and change the selection back to only Windows Updates. I like to keep my updates separated.
    That change could've been because the Office update has been decomissioned. Don't know for sure.

Joe
    Joe