Thanks
    The newly-appeared "Delete my cookies" link seems worryingly close to the "Mark all forums read" link (whose ToolTip expands to "Mark all Lounge threads as read").

Surely the facility to delete cookies (Lounge cookies, that appears to be) is so rarely required that it should be somewhere else, to avoid the possibility of erroneous clickage?

If one deletes Lounge cookies one will have to re-enter the Lounge logon and password next time round, plus probably losing a gallimaufry of other Useful Settings that I don't know about...

* the reference in the subject is to Dijkstra's seminal paper from 1968 "Go To Statement Considered Harmful", compulsory reading for anyone with an interest in the history of computer programming, or comparative computer programming languages...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    The newly-appeared "Delete my cookies" link seems worryingly close to the "Mark all forums read" link (whose ToolTip expands to "Mark all Lounge threads as read").
    I quite agree, but 'worryingly' may be a bit 'alarmist' - 'unnecessarily' may be more appropriate.

Surely the facility to delete cookies (Lounge cookies, that appears to be) is so rarely required that it should be somewhere else, to avoid the possibility of erroneous clickage?
    I think this may tie in with this discussion - if someone has been using a public computer, they may wish to eradicate all traces of their browsing.

If one deletes Lounge cookies one will have to re-enter the Lounge logon and password next time round, plus probably losing a gallimaufry of other Useful Settings that I don't know about...
    I believe [s]you[/s] one would only need to allow/accept cookies on one's computer again - all other settings should remain intact.

Anyway, it is all academic. Did one try clicking the link?
    [highlight='pink']"[#2010] The link you followed to delete your cookies appears to be badly formed. Please go back and click the link again" [/highlight]

Thanks
    If I were designing that link, I think I would check whether the user is logged in and, if so, warn the user that deleting cookies will log him/her out and get confirmation to proceed. This would provide an opportunity to recover from an errant click.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    I quite agree, but 'worryingly' may be a bit 'alarmist' - 'unnecessarily' may be more appropriate.
    I had avoided the use of the word 'terrifyingly' for that very reason!

I think this may tie in with this discussion - if someone has been using a public computer, they may wish to eradicate all traces of their browsing.
    I believe [s]you[/s] one would only need to allow/accept cookies on one's computer again - all other settings should remain intact.
    You are undoubtedly correct: we are probably in a 'thesis -> antithesis -> synthesis', or critically-damped, situation.

Anyway, it is all academic. Did one try clicking the link?
    [highlight='pink']"[#2010] The link you followed to delete your cookies appears to be badly formed. Please go back and click the link again" [/highlight]
    You think I would have tried clicking that link after all my Awful Warnings?!
    BATcher

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    You think I would have tried clicking that link after all my Awful Warnings?!
    Where's your spirit of adventure, man? No wonder the Commonwealth isn't what it used to be.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "Delete my cookies" is a standard IPBoard feature and was present in IPB2.x as well, IIRC nestled snugly against the "Your moderating team" link. As best I can tell, clicking "Delete my cookies" is functionally equivalent to clicking "Mark all forums read" and then signing out, so it's only moderately more destructive than the deadly "Mark all forums read" link.

That said, I'll adjust the position.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Deleting cookies, as a link, was added in IPB2; and as far as I can remember removing cookies only resulted in me having to log in again.

I clean all kind of cookies every now and then.

When it comes to the Lounge, obviously I have to log in again, but apart from that ... nothing, I think. Threads that I have read are still considered being read.

Have you tried it? I don't mean the link "Delete my cookies" link seems worryingly close to the "Mark all forums read" link ... (at the moment it doesn't work as mentioned) just using the browsers options.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Engler View Post
    "Delete my cookies" is a standard IPBoard feature and was present in IPB2.x as well, IIRC nestled snugly against the "Your moderating team" link. As best I can tell, clicking "Delete my cookies" is functionally equivalent to clicking "Mark all forums read" and then signing out, so it's only moderately more destructive than the deadly "Mark all forums read" link.

That said, I'll adjust the position.
    Thanks, Dan, for relocating that link!
    For interest, here's what Firefox shows me for Lounge cookies:

[attachment=86424:WOPRcookies.GIF]

More than just a couple, eh?!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BATcher