Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manage Friends

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Under IP.Board 2, there was a "manage friends" option, where I could view
    • My friends
    • Mutual friends
    • Members who had added me to their Friends list.
    I haven't been able to find the equivalent in the current version. You can display a limited number of friends in your profile, but if you have a large number of friends that's not sufficient.

Brian Livingston
    You should now be able to see the Manage Friends option.

On the main Lounge menu, click Settings. Then select the Profile tab and click Manage Friends. (This option was previously not showing up on this page in the user control panel.) You first need to have some friends in order to manage them, of course.

The option was restored by Web developer Dan Engler on Nov. 11, I believe.

Thanks for reporting this!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks.

Has the way Friends work changed? Under IP.Board 2, if A added B as friend, B appeared in A's Friends list, but A did not automatically appear in B's Friends list. The Manage Friends list had a separate option "Show who has added me as friend", and there was also an option "Show mutual friends". If A added B and B added A, they were mutual friends.

Yesterday, a Lounger added me to his friends list (I got a notification message), and now this Lounger appears in my Friends list too, so it looks like adding someone as friend automatically makes them a mutual friend.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, IPB3 appears to have made "friends" mutual by default, and provides no means of enabling one-way friendships.

You can require approval for friendships by going to Settings > Profile tab > Friends section, and setting Friend Approval to "Enabled". You will then receive notification when a user has added you as a friend, and can view the Friends Pending Approval tab under Manage Friends to approve/decline friendship.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Engler View Post
    Yes, IPB3 appears to have made "friends" mutual by default, and provides no means of enabling one-way friendships.
    OK, no problem - it's good to know the current situation.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Out of interest, what would happen when you decline a friendship request? That could be rather an awkward situation.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by VegasNath View Post
    Out of interest, what would happen when you decline a friendship request? That could be rather an awkward situation.
    You'd disappoint or even offend the Lounger who wants to befriend you...

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As my tear-stained pillow can attest, it quietly removes them from the queue. They aren't sent a notification that VegasNath finds them repugnant.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Engler View Post
    As my tear-stained pillow can attest, it quietly removes them from the queue. They aren't sent a notification that VegasNath finds them repugnant.
    Rename the Lounge to make it the "Facebook Lounge"?
    I don't really see the advantage or disadvantages to the friends bit, so carry on.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by viking33 View Post
    Rename the Lounge to make it the "Facebook Lounge"?
    I don't think the makers of IPBoard have any illusion that they are selling social networking software... There will always be communities based on interest alongside the behemoth social networks because a lot of people are brought online by their interests rather than their connections. Having new tools to foster relationships in that context might be useful, or it might be a gimmick, but there is no danger that the Lounge will turn into Facebook.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    I don't think the makers of IPBoard have any illusion that they are selling social networking software... There will always be communities based on interest alongside the behemoth social networks because a lot of people are brought online by their interests rather than their connections. Having new tools to foster relationships in that context might be useful, or it might be a gimmick, but there is no danger that the Lounge will turn into Facebook.
    Whew, that'a a relief, Jefferson.
    The comment was rather "tongue in cheek" though. Hence the smilie.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by viking33 View Post
    [snip]
    I don't really see the advantage or disadvantages to the friends bit, so carry on.
    Well, in IPB ver. 2 that we moved to in February, all "friends" were listed in the message editor, making it easy to quickly select the recipient(s). Nowadays the UI is a bit spiffier, making it easier.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HansV View Post
    You'd disappoint or even offend the Lounger who wants to befriend you...
    Yes, but the good news is, this would occur only if someone had asked you to be their friend.

Oh.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisgreaves View Post
    Yes, but the good news is, this would occur only if someone had asked you to be their friend.
    Not everyone has the luxury of having no friends...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HansV View Post
    Not everyone has the luxury of having no friends...
    The New Oxford Dictionary just released some new words to add to the dictionary in 2009. One being the "word" UNFRIEND!
    BOB

Today it is called golf!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast