Thanks
    I created a table in Word 2007, and in Word 2003 on my wife's computer (where it will be printed from) it appears slightly different.

On the top row of the table I made dark border lines on the top and on the bottom of the cells, and put a colored background in those cells. But on Word 2003, on the right hand side of the row of cells, the color and the border lines do not line up - the border lines extend a bit out past the background color. On the computer that I created the document on, the table looks fine. Both computers are running Vista Home Premium (although my wife's is 64 bit).

Any ideas how to fix this, and keep it from happening in the future?

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    What happens when the document is printed? Sometimes the on-screen display differs slightly from the printed output.

Do you have the same printer driver installed on both PCs? Word uses info from the printer driver to layout a document.

As an alternative, you could save the document as a .pdf file and send that to the other computer for printing.

Thanks
    Thanks Hans.

I did some more looking into the issue. It turns out that the problem is just with my wife's computer, not about different versions. When I create a document on her computer and add a table, the misalignment between cell shading and extra wide borders is there. Regular borders are fine.

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    You could check whether your wife's PC has the latest drivers for the video card and for the printer.

Thanks
    I'll do that.

And as you mentioned, the table does look different when printed. The misalignent is actually worse when printed.

Thanks

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You might also take a look at the compatibility options in Word 2007 -- you can change them so that the doc is laid out as if created in Word 2003, and/or you can go through the individual options and enable or disable items that could be causing the problem.

In Word 2007, click the Office Button, Word Options, then click Advanced. Scroll all the way down to Compatibility options, where you can use the drop-down to lay the document out as if created in Word 2003. If you click the plus sign to the left of Layout Options, you'll see all of the individual settings that can affect the appearance of the document. It can be worthwhile to note which options are checked and then try unchecking (or checking) one at a time -- doing it that way might allow you to isolate the problematic setting.

Let us know.

Jan

P.S. I am assuming your computer and your wife's computer are hooked to the same printer. If not, let us know that information (and basic information about both printers) as well.
    Author, Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2016,
    Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2010​,
    and Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007

For Word and WordPerfect tips, visit my blog at http://compusavvy.wordpress.com

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincenzo View Post
    I'll do that.

And as you mentioned, the table does look different when printed. The misalignent is actually worse when printed.

Thanks
    Hi Vincenzo,

Word uses the active print driver to work out a document's page layout. Changing printers or operating systems quite likely means using different print drivers and this can account for the difference in appearance.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]