Thread: XD picture card

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just plugged my card into the XD USB slot on my HP desktop. Nothing happens. Went to Device Mgr and got this message.

Windows cannot use this hardware device because it has been prepared for "safe removal", but it has not been removed from the computer. (Code 47)

To fix this problem, unplug this device from your computer and then plug it in again.

Tried that, no luck. Plugged it into my XP computer and got it to work. Back to Vista, no luck.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Hillman View Post
    I just plugged my card into the XD USB slot on my HP desktop. Nothing happens. Went to Device Mgr and got this message.

Windows cannot use this hardware device because it has been prepared for "safe removal", but it has not been removed from the computer. (Code 47)

To fix this problem, unplug this device from your computer and then plug it in again.

Tried that, no luck. Plugged it into my XP computer and got it to work. Back to Vista, no luck.
    Have you tried re-booting the Vista system?

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just did that and it worked. Then tried Safely Remove and got the bad results. I guess I can't use Safely Remove, although I never had this problem before I installed (at Woody's direction) the latest batch of Windows Updates.

Howard

Thanks
    You may want to look into the "Eject" command instead of the "Remove" command. Right click your card reader device in Windows Explorer and click Eject. You should get a message saying you can now safely remove your card, then pull your card out.
    Regards,
    PaulB

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Tried the Eject command and got a message that Removable Disk (I) is in use. Wrong. Only Win Explorer is looking at the files.
    HH

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Hillman View Post
    Tried the Eject command and got a message that Removable Disk (I) is in use. Wrong. Only Win Explorer is looking at the files.
    HH
    In Windows Explorer try click on some other drive then right click the removable drive and select "Eject". If that does not work try closing the current Windows Explorer instance then open a new instance right click the removable drive and select "Eject".

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Joe, clicking on another drive worked. So I guess that when Win Explorer is looking at a drive, it is "in use". Sort of make sense.
    HH