Thanks
    This morning I was asked to look at a PC which "wouldn't power on". In fact it did, but about 5 seconds after the power button was pressed the very early progress screen showed a bar which moved across to the centre of the screen and stopped there. Nothing else happened. This was entirely repeatable.

So the usual take the side off the case, check the seating of plugs in sockets, and so on took place. Nothing. Then I removed and replaced the two memory sticks. Viola! It booted up and started up Windows!

It then occurred to me that for the lack of a 30 speaker (UK price: 2.18+VAT) which some manufacturers now routinely omit to save money, I wasn't hearing the expected BIOS beep codes, which would probably have indicated that the memory was unwell.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    This morning I was asked to look at a PC which "wouldn't power on". In fact it did, but about 5 seconds after the power button was pressed the very early progress screen showed a bar which moved across to the centre of the screen and stopped there. Nothing else happened. This was entirely repeatable.

So the usual take the side off the case, check the seating of plugs in sockets, and so on took place. Nothing. Then I removed and replaced the two memory sticks. Viola! It booted up and started up Windows!

It then occurred to me that for the lack of a 30 speaker (UK price: 2.18+VAT) which some manufacturers now routinely omit to save money, I wasn't hearing the expected BIOS beep codes, which would probably have indicated that the memory was unwell.

Hi BATcher,

I had almost the exact same issue about three months back. A friend called in a panic as he was unable to get his PC to turn on. I rushed over and went through all the usual checks as you mentioned. Was it plugged in? Was there power to the motherboard? Etc. In my case, while checking the cable between the motherboard and the drive I thought I noticed one of the RAM sticks wiggle. When I checked it I found that neither of the two RAM sticks were seated completely. This is when my friend decided it was time to fess up that he had been playing around inside the computer and had taken the two chips out to look at them. Further investigation led me to find that he had also disconnected the speaker which is why I was not getting the audible warnings.
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">MickeyMouse</font face=comic>
    How best to describe the Lounge-
    "Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, working together is success"

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    [snip]
    [...] Then I removed and replaced the two memory sticks. Viola! [...]
    [snip]
    And suddenly the room was filled with music. A romantic experience?

---
    Been there, done that. Some 10 months ago a new pair of memories didn't work; in fact nothing happened when the power button was pressed. I dug out a speaker and put it in the PC; still nothing, silence. A little memory tango, check only this one, check only that one (and perhaps check different sockets), showed that one of the new memory chips were faulty. (When I got a new pair, the little speaker started to "speak", so nothing wrong with that one.)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Argus View Post
    And suddenly the room was filled with music.
    Or with slow-motion video...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Argus View Post
    And suddenly the room was filled with music. A romantic experience?
    Deliberate letter inversion - hence the smiley!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    That's what I thought - hence my quote including it.