Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have installed W7 Pro over XP Pro and then deleted the 'old files'. Didn't need them.
    I use a Gigabyte UD3 P45 motherboard.
    Also use an UPS that is set to turn off the pc after a few minutes in the event of a power outage.
    Every time I start or restart W7 the UAC pop up tells me that Gigabyte is trying to change something. I click yes.
    My question is simple. How do I give permanent permission to programs one at a time?
    When I go into UAC control all I see is the ability to change permissions for everything via a slide bar.
    I don't want UAC blocking my UAC if I'm not home during a power outage.
    There just has to be a way of doing this one program at a time.
    I'm a novice and have almost no W7 experience.
    Thanks.
    J.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jst42daytoo View Post
    I have installed W7 Pro over XP Pro and then deleted the 'old files'. Didn't need them.
    Also use an UPS that is set to turn off the pc after a few minutes in the event of a power outage.
    Every time I start or restart W7 the UAC pop up tells me that Gigabyte is trying to change something. I click yes.
    My question is simple. How do I give permanent permission to programs one at a time?
    When I go into UAC control all I see is the ability to change permissions for everything via a slide bar.
    Thanks.
    J.
    Welcome to the Lounge!!

Using Windows Explorer try this: find the .exe file, right click and select Properties. Click on the compatability tab and the check "Run this program as an administrator".

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I go into Windows Explorer, double click on C disk and I see one of the programs I'm looking for.
    Right click on it and I get many options but none of them is a compatibility tab. I browsed through the tabs I see after right clicking and do not see any compatibility tab.
    Thanks.
    J

Thanks
    Thanks.
    J.
    I'm not using Win 7 yet but I know for sure, one of the first things I did when I installed Vista, was to disable UAC. One of the most annoying "security" add ons for Vista. Are you SURE you want to do this?, really sure?, absolutely sure?
    Yes, I know some will claim it limits the security of the OS, but so far as I'm concerned, I can do without it.
    Win 7 should also allow deep sixing the UAC.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Administrator
    Thanks
    I go into Windows Explorer, double click on C disk and I see one of the programs I'm looking for.
    Right click on it and I get many options but none of them is a compatibility tab. I browsed through the tabs I see after right clicking and do not see any compatibility tab.
    Thanks.
    J
    Did you select Properties?

Can you post a screenshot?

I'd strongly encourage you to leave UAC enabled. With Vista (and most likely Windows 7) there are some things that don't work properly with UAC disabled. With normal use you see UAC prompts less and less as time goes on.

Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I agree with Joe, keep the UAC on.
    The real problem is the program is NOT fully compliant with Vista and Windows 7.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperez View Post
    Did you select Properties?

Can you post a screenshot?

I'd strongly encourage you to leave UAC enabled. With Vista (and most likely Windows 7) there are some things that don't work properly with UAC disabled. With normal use you see UAC prompts less and less as time goes on.

Joe
    The old story. What works for some, doesn't work for others. I haven't had any apparent problems on Vista working with UAC disabled. When I do get Win 7, someday, I will turn off UAC right after setup unless I can see some real advantage in keeping it. My only experience with it in Vista was annoyance. How long is "as time goes on"? JMHO.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    I agree with Joe, keep the UAC on.
    The real problem is the program is NOT fully compliant with Vista and Windows 7.
    Dave,
    What does " NOT fully compliant" mean? Any specifics?
    BOB

Today it is called golf!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I tracked down some more info and found that the problem is with Gigabyte's ET6. There's info online about problems caused by ET 5 & 6.
    I tried to install an updated version from Gigabyte but it wouldn't install.
    If anybody else has a problem with it I had to delete it from the pc then go into msconfig and remove the gui from the startup list.
    The UPS can be dealt with by using compatibility mode.
    However, I still don't know if there's a UAC replacement for W7.
    Because not having more granular control is not acceptable to me.
    Thanks for you rhelp.
    J.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by viking33 View Post
    Dave,
    What does " NOT fully compliant" mean? Any specifics?
    It is NOT Windows 7 Ready, as there seems to be something in the install that Windows 7 does not like, and blocks the full use of the program with out giving the OK from the user.

Most of these type of programs were written for XP or before and have not been updated to work 100% with the newer OS's. Also, one does not know how old the CDs are that comes with some of these devices, may be just using up the old stock.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    It is NOT Windows 7 Ready, as there seems to be something in the install that Windows 7 does not like, and blocks the full use of the program with out giving the OK from the user.

Most of these type of programs were written for XP or before and have not been updated to work 100% with the newer OS's. Also, one does not know how old the CDs are that comes with some of these devices, may be just using up the old stock.
    Dave,
    OK I can see what you mean. The program for the UPS may not be compliant, with Win7 or UAC. That makes a lot more sense.
    A check for an update from the UPS manufacturer would be in order.
    BOB

Today it is called golf!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by viking33 View Post
    The old story. What works for some, doesn't work for others. I haven't had any apparent problems on Vista working with UAC disabled. When I do get Win 7, someday, I will turn off UAC right after setup unless I can see some real advantage in keeping it. My only experience with it in Vista was annoyance. How long is "as time goes on"? JMHO.
    See How to use User Account Control (UAC) in Windows Vista. That explains when UAC is invoked. You'll see why I say that UAC should become less frequent. The primary way for most users to cause UAC to be invoked is to install software.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    I tracked down some more info and found that the problem is with Gigabyte's ET6. There's info online about problems caused by ET 5 & 6.
    I tried to install an updated version from Gigabyte but it wouldn't install.
    If anybody else has a problem with it I had to delete it from the pc then go into msconfig and remove the gui from the startup list.
    The UPS can be dealt with by using compatibility mode.
    However, I still don't know if there's a UAC replacement for W7.
    Because not having more granular control is not acceptable to me.
    Thanks for you rhelp.
    J.
    There is no UAC replacement for Windows 7. UAC is an integral part of the OS. Here's a couple of articles about UAC - User Account Control: Inside Windows 7 User Account Control & Engineering Windows 7 : Update on UAC.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks all of you for your help.
    Since this is a home/soho pc I've turned off UAC for now.
    Shouldn't be a big problem since I'll be using Defensewall.
    J.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have arrived at W7 having been through every stage of Windows from 3.11 through 95, 98, Me to XP so UAC is completely new to me.

I am a volunteer transcriber of births deaths and marriages for a free UK geanealogy website. I download a jpg of a page of registered births (for example) from the National archives GRO books and then use transcription software to enter those into a table to send back.

Having successfully installed versions of software I ran on XP and then overwritten the data folders within those applications with my backed up input and output data areas from my former laptop running XP, I now find these data folders to be read only meaning that when I download the data it doesnt go into the input folder but appears somewhere within my user documents. Similarly although the software is adamant it writes to its own output folder that is read only and the data also appears instead within my USER documents. Thats ok now that i have found where the data was ending up but if I try to change the folder to not be read only it asks me to confirm as administrator which I do but it takes not a scrap of notice.

This despite my being the only defined user of the laptop and hence automatically administrator level.

This is not the only application that is doing this. The upshot is that my data is thus scattered around but not within dfhe folder it should be - ie the one associated with the application.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast