Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    In Vista, I downloaded and installed Symantec's UAC controller, which allows you to TEACH the UAC. I have found this to be extremely useful. You can download and use it FREE from Symantec; NUACx86.exe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Stuttard View Post
    I have arrived at W7 having been through every stage of Windows from 3.11 through 95, 98, Me to XP so UAC is completely new to me.

I am a volunteer transcriber of births deaths and marriages for a free UK geanealogy website. I download a jpg of a page of registered births (for example) from the National archives GRO books and then use transcription software to enter those into a table to send back.

Having successfully installed versions of software I ran on XP and then overwritten the data folders within those applications with my backed up input and output data areas from my former laptop running XP, I now find these data folders to be read only meaning that when I download the data it doesnt go into the input folder but appears somewhere within my user documents. Similarly although the software is adamant it writes to its own output folder that is read only and the data also appears instead within my USER documents. Thats ok now that i have found where the data was ending up but if I try to change the folder to not be read only it asks me to confirm as administrator which I do but it takes not a scrap of notice.

This despite my being the only defined user of the laptop and hence automatically administrator level.

This is not the only application that is doing this. The upshot is that my data is thus scattered around but not within dfhe folder it should be - ie the one associated with the application.
    The read-only flag on folders applies to files within the folder not the folder itself. Sometimes older software will mis-interpret this flag on folders. If you data folders were in "C:\Program Files" they should end up in "C:\Program Data". Users and programs are not normally allowed to write to "C:\Program Files" in Win7. However, the installer program may pick a location in your user profile. That is up to the designer of the installer.

In Windows 7 a user who is designated to be an administrator still runs as a normal user most of the time. That account is just allowed to do things to administer the PC such as install software that a normal user account can't. Even a user administrator does NOT have the same privileges that the builtin Administrator account has. This is a big departure for Windows and is much more secure.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Getting back to the original subject of this post, the links below will give you some ideas on how to get around the UAC for a non-compliant executable. I use a search application called "Everything" that I wanted to execute at start-up, but it always brought up a UAC confirmation prompt. After much annoyance, I set the "Everything" preferences to not run at start-up and used the method of using task scheduler to execute "Everything" with the task set to "Run with highest privileges". Then I put a shortcut in the startup folder that would execute that task. Here is what the shortcut says:

C:\Windows\System32\schtasks.exe /run /TN "Everything" <=== "Everything" is the Name of the task defined in Task Scheduler.

Viola! no more UAC prompt on startup.

P.S. I use Windows 7, so the instructions on the pages below may say Vista, but they work in Win7 as well.

http://sbs.seandaniel.com/2007/05/ho...-elevated.html

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/wi...windows/?p=616

http://maximumpcguides.com/windows-v...t-uac-prompts/

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Sharkey View Post
    In Vista, I downloaded and installed Symantec's UAC controller, which allows you to TEACH the UAC. I have found this to be extremely useful. You can download and use it FREE from Symantec; NUACx86.exe
    Yes, but it doesn't work on Windows 7.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Another possibility is to go to Administrative tools and look at the options available. You could totally turn off UAC if needed, or portions of it like the "secure desktop.

Dan

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jst42daytoo View Post
    I have installed W7 Pro over XP Pro and then deleted the 'old files'. Didn't need them.
    I use a Gigabyte UD3 P45 motherboard.
    Also use an UPS that is set to turn off the pc after a few minutes in the event of a power outage.
    Every time I start or restart W7 the UAC pop up tells me that Gigabyte is trying to change something. I click yes.
    My question is simple. How do I give permanent permission to programs one at a time?
    When I go into UAC control all I see is the ability to change permissions for everything via a slide bar.
    I don't want UAC blocking my UAC if I'm not home during a power outage.
    There just has to be a way of doing this one program at a time.
    I'm a novice and have almost no W7 experience.
    Thanks.
    J.
    Hi and welcome

UAC has always been a bear. You could either lower the threshold or turn it off. The option of "run as admin" will work as well. It might be a driver theat the mobo loads or something so the best way to fix it is find what it is then take the appropriate action

Good luck

Ken J+
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional-- Windows Expert Consumer 2009---2015
    MCC 2013-2015

Wanikiyi & Dyami--Team ZigZag3143

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12