Thanks
    And it seems to be getting worse (now on 3.5.5)! It now takes about 15-16 MB of I/O reads and up to 10 seconds to come up with the Firefox window. And yes, that's after 'vacuuming' places.sqlite (less than 1% reduction from about 185 MB).

Secondly, when closing Firefox it quite often happens that it still stays in the Processes window of Task Manager, and has to be terminated before you can start another copy of Firefox up again.

Is there anything that can be done to improve matters (short of completely rethinking how Bookmarks are held!)?

Thanks!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    It now takes about 15-16 MB of I/O reads and up to 10 seconds to come up with the Firefox window. And yes, that's after 'vacuuming' places.sqlite (less than 1% reduction from about 185 MB).
    Ten seconds seems a bit long. To see whether your databases are the problem, you could create a new profile and test it "blank." You then could import your bookmarks into it and see whether that slows it down. If not, I would suspect accumulated history and/or add-ons (perhaps updating themselves?).

Creating a new Firefox profile on Windows @ MozillaZine Knowledge Base
    Transferring data to a new profile - Firefox @ MozillaZine Knowledge Base

Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    Secondly, when closing Firefox it quite often happens that it still stays in the Processes window of Task Manager, and has to be terminated before you can start another copy of Firefox up again.
    This article lists "known culprits" for Firefox not completely exiting. I'm sure it's not an exhaustive list, but it might help.

Firefox hangs #Hang_at_exit