Thread: 100% CPU usage

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My desktop CPU usage has been pegging at 100%. Several restarts did not correct this. I then shut the computer down. Now when I try to restart the fans run but I can not even get the BIOS to load. Suggestions?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhaynes View Post
    My desktop CPU usage has been pegging at 100%. Several restarts did not correct this. I then shut the computer down. Now when I try to restart the fans run but I can not even get the BIOS to load. Suggestions?
    Sounds like two different problems to me.

Try disconnecting the power and the ethernet connection from the case, leave it a minute or so, earth yourself to the main chassis, and investigate whether all the plugs you can see are tightly in their sockets. Perhaps carefully take the memory out and replace it firmly.

If you get over that problem, I'd investigate the 100% CPU problem by looking at the Processes tab in Task Manager. Click twice on the heading which says CPU to sort the usage in descending order.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jimhaynes View Post
    If you are using AVG 8.0 or above, it seems to be a power hog when apps are loading or changing between web pages. There are several posts several weeks earlier on this.
    Bill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    Sounds like two different problems to me.

Try disconnecting the power and the ethernet connection from the case, leave it a minute or so, earth yourself to the main chassis, and investigate whether all the plugs you can see are tightly in their sockets. Perhaps carefully take the memory out and replace it firmly.

If you get over that problem, I'd investigate the 100% CPU problem by looking at the Processes tab in Task Manager. Click twice on the heading which says CPU to sort the usage in descending order.
    You are correct, first things first, I am not sure the two issues are related as when I press the power switch all that happens is the fans come on. The bios does not load. I will post the solution when I figure this out.