Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am trying in code to connect a textbox "Choice1" on a form with the textbox "assignment"on a subform "subfrmMake assignment".

What I want to do is when a person fills in the textbox Choice1 on a form the after update event will make the contents of "assignment" on the subform =.

Some varation of me.Choice1 = me.subfrmMakeAssignment.assignment but I can't get the last part correct. The last period will not work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Paul

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Your post is confusing. Your description "when a person fills in the textbox Choice1 on a form the after update event will make the contents of "assignment" on the subform =" suggests that you want to update a text box in the subform, but the line "me.Choice1 = me.subfrmMakeAssignment.assignment" would update a text box in the main form. Please try to explain unambiguously what you want to accomplish.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HansV View Post
    Your post is confusing. Your description "when a person fills in the textbox Choice1 on a form the after update event will make the contents of "assignment" on the subform =" suggests that you want to update a text box in the subform, but the line "me.Choice1 = me.subfrmMakeAssignment.assignment" would update a text box in the main form. Please try to explain unambiguously what you want to accomplish.

I want to be able to type something in the form textbox "Choice1" and then what is typed in that box will appear in the subform textbox assignment.

I guess my code is all wrong.

Paul

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    But in theory, a subform can contain multiple records. Would you want the text to appear in all records? If so, there doesn't seem to be a need to include the value in the subform, since it's derived from the main form.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I guess I was trying to use a subform to get around a query problem. I attached a sample database.

What I was trying to do is - you open frmMakeAssignment, Select Choice 1 and your choise would eventually end up in tblData field "Assignment"

It gets a little confusing.

I start out by importing student names and 5 number choices.
    I convert the number choices to Locations.

The frmMakeAssignment was designed to allow a teacher to select one of the 5 choices as your assignment.

I could not get the query to allow you to do all that on one form so I was trying to use a subform to solve the problem.

Unless you can come up with a suggestion, I will go back and try to approach this another way.

Thanks.

Paul
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd set up the database differently. I'll get back to you later today, too little time now.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Here is a rather different approach. The choices have been moved to a separate table, and the assignment is selected from a combo box.

[attachment=86436:Practice.zip]

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hans - Thanks for all your help on this and I like what you put together but as is it will not work for me.

All the data I am going to work with will come from a spreadsheet that has the fields FN, LN, Grade, Choice1, Choice 2, Choice3, Choice 4, and Choice5. That is the table "tblData" I have to start with.

I would still appreciate any suggestions you have on how to set this up.

Paul

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd make the Assignment field numeric, corresponding to Choice1...Choice5 and OrganizationNumber.

The attached version shows a radically simplified approach using the original table structure, with the exception of the field mentioned above.
    I've done away with most queries and with the subform, and used combo boxes to display the choices and assignment as text.

[attachment=86452:Practice.zip]

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks.

I think this approach will work. I'll play with it for awhile.

Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pbien View Post
    Thanks.

I think this approach will work. I'll play with it for awhile.

Paul
    So far the database is working well. I've added new components. Stuck again.

On the frmMakeAssignments - What is the correct coding to put in the After Update event of OptChoice to make the subform sbfSummary#AssignmentsA-K update when I change something in OptChoice?

I have tried several versions of requery but nothing seems to work.

See attached.

Thanks.

Paul

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    On the frmMakeAssignments - What is the correct coding to put in the After Update event of OptChoice to make the subform sbfSummary#AssignmentsA-K update when I change something in OptChoice?
    What has to be updated in the subform sbfSummary#AssignmentsA-K ? What field of what record with what value ?
    Francois

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The #assigned field in the subform has to be updated when you check a box in the form.

Paul

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    The #assigned field in the subform has to be updated when you check a box in the form.

Paul
    What record ? All ?
    And what is the purpose of this because the subform is not linked with the mainform. For each record in the mainform you will change the same record in the subform ? I don't understand.
    Francois

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Francois View Post
    What record ? All ?
    And what is the purpose of this because the subform is not linked with the mainform. For each record in the mainform you will change the same record in the subform ? I don't understand.
    I am trying to show an updated total number of people that have been assigned to each organization. When you make a Choice of an organization there is a query (actually three summary queries)that counts the number of people that have been assigned to each organization. One query for A-K organizations , one for L-R, on for S-Z.

What I wanted to do is put three subforms on the main form that would show the running totals for each orgaization. I got stuck trying to make the first one work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast