5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    not even sure where to start with this one.. i have a function that compares old and new values in two queries and, using Debug.Print, I can get a nice list of named fields and old/new values. what i am asked to do is put this sort of data on a report, and well how do i do that? i need some kind of response.write to a control. if this is not possible in Access, any advice on how else to do it would be great. the report in question will be generated and printed on-site from laptops, no network or internet will be available.

TIA!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    You could create a table with 3 text fields:
    - FieldName
    - OldValue
    - NewValue

Create a report based on this table.

Write code that
    • Deletes all records from this table.
    • Uses your function to add records to this table, instead of writing to the Immediate window.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Steve

I was going to say the same as Hans, I have a series of tables that I use to archive old values (mainly for back up purposes) which could be used to store the old values. I would as go so far as to increase the number of fields that Hans suggested to include the record_id for referential purposes
    Jerry

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
    I would as go so far as to increase the number of fields that Hans suggested to include the record_id for referential purposes
    Good idea. One could add other fields as needed, for example the Field Type of the field, if available a Modification Date/Time, etc.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    good idea... just for kicks i wrote the string to a messagebox, which works but not any kind of solution, obviously.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
    Steve

I was going to say the same as Hans, I have a series of tables that I use to archive old values (mainly for back up purposes) which could be used to store the old values. I would as go so far as to increase the number of fields that Hans suggested to include the record_id for referential purposes
    Thanks. this part of the project is going to be a bit crucial... well, it's the pith of the whole thing, as we will be uploading items name/value pairs to a backend system which will also be used to support petitions to change the values back if needed. so, I need to ensure there is a defined table with three columns: old, new, reconsidered. the header will be person making change(s), date of commit, date of upload, date of reconsideration, perhaps a few other things. Big project, overall.