Lounger
    Thanks
    Is there a particular file (.dot, .ini) that holds the configurations that I've set for Word so that when I install Word 2003 on a new machine, I don't have to spend hours tweaking Tools-->Options and other preferences?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ianrwilson05 View Post
    Is there a particular file (.dot, .ini) that holds the configurations that I've set for Word so that when I install Word 2003 on a new machine, I don't have to spend hours tweaking Tools-->Options and other preferences?
    Hello Ian Wilson
    There's a summary of where Word stores all kinds of settings at*http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822005 - you have to scroll all the way down to the end to get to it. Does that help?

Regards

Ian Wilson

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ianrwilson05 View Post
    Regarding the new machine problem: In the old days, you could record a macro of yourself visiting each tab of the Options dialog. When the recorded macro was run on the second machine, the Options dialog would be set to match the first machine. However, I don't know how well that works in the more recent versions of Word.

(Note: it is most convenient to create the recorded macro in a new blank document so its easy to find and hard to accidentally re-run later.)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IanWilson View Post
    Hello Ian Wilson
    There's a summary of where Word stores all kinds of settings at*http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822005 - you have to scroll all the way down to the end to get to it. Does that help?

Regards
    Ah messing with the Registry, scares me but thanks for pointing me in the right direction. How typical of MicroSoft: Why not have all these preferences in a preference file. You know, the way Apple does it. Lovely.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    Regarding the new machine problem: In the old days, you could record a macro of yourself visiting each tab of the Options dialog. When the recorded macro was run on the second machine, the Options dialog would be set to match the first machine. However, I don't know how well that works in the more recent versions of Word.

(Note: it is most convenient to create the recorded macro in a new blank document so its easy to find and hard to accidentally re-run later.)
    Thanks for this.