Thread: cyber security

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A friends' computer picked up the "cyber security trojan" and unbelievably, despite all my pleadings to wait until I could get to visit or to drop off the laptop into my home for me to look at, they went and paid the $59.99 (30+) that this rouge kept asking for to unblock the computer. I think I've got through to them that their credit card and /or bank details have probably been compromised and to take some action on that. Meanwhile I'm wondering what would be the best way to clean this off the laptop. A google search suggests anti virus progs and malawarebytes are not effective and there are other removal tools, for example scroll down this page to download tool spyware doctor but would this be safe to download and try or is this another con that will find spyware then ask you to pay to remove it?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Spyware Doctor is a legitimate program, but I'd try Malwarebytes AntiMalware first.

See Remove Cyber Security (Uninstall Guide) for step-by-step instructions.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HansV View Post
    Spyware Doctor is a legitimate program, but I'd try Malwarebytes AntiMalware first.

See Remove Cyber Security (Uninstall Guide) for step-by-step instructions.
    Thanks for the reassurance regards Spyware Doctor. I would have gone the Malwarebytes route had I been given the chance. Can you believe my friend is saying " dont bother coming over my computer is running fine since I paid for Cyber Security" !!!!!! I've repeated my views and warnings and have washed my hands of this now

Lounger
    Thanks
    Give us an update next time he has a problem and you tell him to check with Cyber Security!

Lounger
    Thanks
    I love Malwarebytes! It has killed so many more things than any other program. A couple weeks ago a neighboring office had two computers get a fake AV program that was really rough. Wouldn't allow browser to get to windows updates or any legitimate AV site. I used my pre-loaded usb stick and ran Sysinternals Autoruns to ferret out unknown crap, then ADDPCS.com's tempcleaner, rebooted, loaded Malwarebytes, and violla, the OS opened up and allowed the original AV program to update, windows updated, and the rest of the infections came tumbling down. After that a couple things were still struggling so I broke out the trusty JV16 power tools (trial version) and used its software uninstaller to kill some leftovers, then its registry cleaner and registry compacter. After it rebooted it was back to its speedy self. I went into windows exploder and looked through the folders and deleted some things that were still left over, mostly empty or nearly empty folders. They weren't causing problems that I could see, but I thought it best to get rid of them anyway. I have also used Sysinternals Process monitor to see other things that were going on to ferret out malware. BE CAREFUL with the ADDPCS.com tempcleaner, it defaults to deleting all restore points in XP. I don't leave it on mere mortals desktops when I'm done with their machine, same with the Sysinternals stuff, I could get nightmares about what people could disable.

Happy Hunting

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGadgetFixer View Post
    I went into windows exploder
    This is probably the most viable alternative name for this app I have seen...

Thanks
    @TheGadgetFixer --

You got lucky with that Malwarebytes install. Many of today's Rogues block MBAM (Malwarebytes) from reaching its updates server for updates. Then the only reasonable solution is to reformat and reinstall Windows. In the original post here, it looks like the friend is not going to allow this. But it would be the best thing to do now. That computer is now part of a botnet, and is keylogging and transmitting personal information with every website visited. In all likelihood, anyway. Tragic, really.
    -- Bob Primak --

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobprimak View Post
    @TheGadgetFixer --

You got lucky with that Malwarebytes install. Many of today's Rogues block MBAM (Malwarebytes) from reaching its updates server for updates. Then the only reasonable solution is to reformat and reinstall Windows. In the original post here, it looks like the friend is not going to allow this. But it would be the best thing to do now. That computer is now part of a botnet, and is keylogging and transmitting personal information with every website visited. In all likelihood, anyway. Tragic, really.
    Not so.....because after a few days the computer became totally useless...full of unknown things and was put into early retirement. Complete format of HDD and re install of windows. I couldn't help a passing remark "I told you so "

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jaystarter1 View Post
    Not so.....because after a few days the computer became totally useless...full of unknown things and was put into early retirement. Complete format of HDD and re install of windows. I couldn't help a passing remark "I told you so "
    *sigh* Well, at least you tried. Your friend is in a way lucky, as this malware didn't just sit there quietly sending out all his personal info for all the hackers to use. Instead, this piece of nastiness had a downloader in it, and you described what that does. Most of today's more clever malicious downloads do not make their presence known in this way. Thanks for the update. I hope your friend had a "teachable moment " at this point and installed a good firewall and antivirus/ antispyware program. And set them to auto-update. Once a computer has been successfully compromised, its Machine ID, IP Address, MAC Address, and other information are on the hackers' "hotlists" and that computer will be targeted for new infections. More so than the general population of PCs. Conversely, PCs which have successfully warded off attempted attacks get on a hacker "cold list" and are not likely to be directly targeted as often. Relatively speaking, anyway.
    -- Bob Primak --