2796dover

save in macintosh format (Win98SE Word 2000 SR-1)

Anyone know how I can save a document created in Word 2000 so that our local newspaper can open it on a Mac? They don't have PCs at the paper, only MacIntoshes. I know I can save it as text only but is there a way to save Word documents so that at least some of the formatting is preserved? If I use .rtf will they be able to see the formatting?

And why the heck don't any newspapers use PCs anyway? They ALL seem to use Macs.

Thanks from McAdamia

Thanks

Re: save in macintosh format (Win98SE Word 2000 SR-1)

I have Save As formats for Word for Mac 4, 5, and 6. I did a custom install and chose all text converters. You probably have them somewhere, and probably could add them by going to the control panel, choosing Office 2000, and choosing Add Features in the Office install dialog. Of course, if they don't have e-mail, you still have to deal with the diskette issue...

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I can't fix your problem, but I know why newspapers use Macs. It's because they've been doing typesetting and layout on them in Quark for years and years now. When they started, PCs still had DOS in green on a black background and so were not an option. Now they have a system that works, so why would they want to change it?

This is true in much of the print publishing world.

Man, do I feel old now!

Lin

Star Lounger
    Thanks

You should be able to just do a regular save and send them the document. If they are using a version of Word earlier than Word 98 or Word 2001, they might have problems. If it's either of those version, they should be able to open it as they do any Word document they created on the Mac.

Word 98 and Word 2001 use the same file format as their PC companions, Word 97 and Word 2000.

SJ Miller

PC by day, Mac by night