New Lounger
    Thanks
    Right, Iím using Word 2007 and Iím getting to that stage where I need to start thinking about my PhD thesis, which as you may know in its finished state is going to be a huge document and larger than most books.

To keep file size minimal (due to number of graphics) Iíve been writing in many small documents with the intent to use a master document to bring them together. In reality itíll probably actually be a master document for each chapter and a master master document over the top (which I assume I can do), and pray that my computer doesnít fall over when trying to open them all.

Having used master documents previously I understand how to insert page numbering to a master document and then generate a table of contents (TOC) across the master using the Style Headers.

Iíve then started to use the List Library function to number all of my headers in the x.y.z... style. However, obviously at the moment the individual files all read 1.1.1, which Iím hoping will all automatically update as they go into the master document; likewise with my captions to all the figures (inserted with "Insert Caption" off the Reference tab), again using itís own style.

My problem really comes in with headers and footers. Iím looking at printing double sided in a standard book type format. So the footer will have the page number in the outside bottom corner (so left for even and right for odd pages). Easy enough to setup using Insert -> Footer and selecting "Different Odd and Even Pages".

The header I want to have even pages as ďmy name Ė thesis titleĒ ie static text. On odd pages I want the chapter title down to the 3rd level (heading 3) 1.1.1 and title ie ďx.y.z Ė chapter titleĒ.

Now I know I need to put in section breaks between chapters and then break links between sections and have done so (for headers on odd pages only). What I want Word to do is search the current page for a heading (print that heading if it finds one) and if it does not find one on that page then print the previous heading.

Playing around with the "Insert Page" number formatting I can insert x.y and then the page range (no dynamic heading text). Or using Quick Parts ->Field , StyleRef I can find the first or last heading in a slave document. But that gives me a single field and is static, it wont update and is only displayed in one header on one page not on all the pages in the section or across the whole document.

Am I missing something or is Word just not cut out for such complexity? I donít really want to start writing my thesis chapters as effectively separate books/projects.

Thanks in advance,
    Morgan

New Lounger
    Thanks
    And then to make things even more interesting, is it then possible to omit the header if the page has a Heading 1 (for a new chapter), as my Heading 1 is rather large?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceXV View Post
    And then to make things even more interesting, is it then possible to omit the header if the page has a Heading 1 (for a new chapter), as my Heading 1 is rather large?
    Do this by putting the Heading 1 on a new section and using a different header on the first page of a section.

Styleref normally works correctly in a header and changes itself automatically when a new piece of text is encountered with the same style. If this is not working with Master/Slave docs then that sounds like a good enough reason not to use master docs. However you say the field only appears on one page - are you sure that
    1. the field is in the header
    2. this header covers more than one page (is in a multipage section and is not the 'different first page header')

I would recommend you don't even attempt to use master docs and keep all your docs separated. You can use RD fields to build tocs and indexes across your documents and also start the heading numbering differently in each file (by manually setting the paragraph numbering for each independent document). I use a macro to do the paragraph numbering but you could also do this manually.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't use them now, but I used to make heavy use of Master/Slave documents. I always had a heading 1 at the start of each slave document and a styleref in the document header (which was part of the Master document). It worked well.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    [Update]

Thanks to Andrew, had a play around with StyleRef and managed to get Word doing what I wanted. Amazing simple when you actually know the command you are looking for.

I've tried using RD fields and done the usual first page of tutorials that appear upon a google search and havent got very far. Do you recommend any particular tutorial? I do suspect though it's again going to be a case of knowing the right code and commands to stick into the TOC document.

Presumably RD fields can also be extended to link autonumbered headers, figures + captions and index features?