Thanks
    The following backup scenario applies:

There is a (source) directory tree on a disk, within which files will change on a random basis throughout the day.
    I am looking for a utility that will monitor this tree, and copy newly-changed or added files to an (almost) mirror target directory tree, but affixing a "_yyyymmdd_hhmmss" timestamp to the changed/added filename, just before the extension.
    If a specific file is changed several times during a day, then the target directory will contain the same number of versions of that file as there are changes, but each with a different filename timestamp.

RoboCopy can do the "directory tree monitoring" function, but will only copy across the changed file with the original filename, to give a 'true' mirror - which in this instance I don't want.

Has anyone come across a utility that will do what I want?

Thanks!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    Has anyone come across a utility that will do what I want?
    No but...

RoboCopy, monitoring Folder A for changes, copies from Folder A to Folder B.

A clever batch file constantly monitors for any files in Folder B, and any it finds, it renames with the pre-suffix-suffix you require, and moves the file to Folder C.

Do-able?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    No but...

RoboCopy, monitoring Folder A for changes, copies from Folder A to Folder B.

A clever batch file constantly monitors for any files in Folder B, and any it finds, it renames with the pre-suffix-suffix you require, and moves the file to Folder C.

Do-able?
    Indeed yes, and thanks for suggesting a BATch file solution!, but the result is two asynchronous and continually-running processes whereas I would like there to be just one, doing ~half the work! If nobody has come across such a utility as I am soliciting, that may have to be the way to go...
    BATcher

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    Indeed yes, and thanks for suggesting a BATch file solution!, but the result is two asynchronous and continually-running processes whereas I would like there to be just one, doing ~half the work! If nobody has come across such a utility as I am soliciting, that may have to be the way to go...
    Take a look at http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp. It is free for personal use and very inexpensive otherwise. I'm not sure about the "rename as you copy" part. You do have access to the VB6 source code.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperez View Post
    Take a look at http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp. It is free for personal use and very inexpensive otherwise. I'm not sure about the "rename as you copy" part. You do have access to the VB6 source code.
    Thanks, Joe - I looked at that but it didn't seem to offer anything over many of the other 'backup utilities', or even RoboCopy. I have come across and am 'checking out' SyncBack SE, which offers 'File versioning' and 'Backup automatically when files change', and there are also %DATE% and %TIME% variables which might be employed. Hard to say if I can get it to do precisely what what I want without trying it, so that's tomorrow's job!
    BATcher