Thread: Office 2003

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I installed Standard Edition 2003 Word and Excel applications three and one half years ago.
    The only updates I have downloaded were those offered the day I installed the applications,
    but none since.
    Dare I try to apply any and all existing patches to these two items? I don't want to make
    matters worse (they each work to my satisfaction as they are).
    My OS is WXP/SP3; IE8; with almost all Windows Update patches applied to date, except yesterday's.

flavet
    Dell Inspiron 15R, 8GB, Win7 Home Premium 64bit SP1
    All help truly appreciated!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd visit Microsoft Update and click Custom.
    See which Office updates are offered. You'll probably have to update to Office 2003 SP3 first, then repeat the procedure to get the updates released after SP3.
    If you're uncertain, you can install a limited number of updates, test the result, and if everything works OK, install another batch etc.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HansV View Post
    I'd visit Microsoft Update and click Custom.
    See which Office updates are offered. You'll probably have to update to Office 2003 SP3 first, then repeat the procedure to get the updates released after SP3.
    If you're uncertain, you can install a limited number of updates, test the result, and if everything works OK, install another batch etc.
    Thanks again, Hans. Will give this a try. flavet

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hans,

I followed the first suggestions you offered (found out what is in store in the way of outstanding updates). MS found 29 items, 26 high priority, and 3 software, optionals, but I did not go forward yet with installing any of them.

Ten of the high p's are for Office 2002, which came with the PC from Dell. Less than 6 months after buying the PC, I purchased and installed Word and Excel applications out of MS Office Standard Edition 2003 package. So, I really believe that I can safely remove the Office 2002 folders and files, and need not apply the 10 updates for that product.

That leaves 13 high p's for Office 2003, one of which is the SP3 update. There are a half dozen of the updates which have a 'date' earlier than the SP3 date (6-10-2008), and a half dozen with a date later than that. I assume that I should install only those with earlier dates before installing the SP3 item, and after installing SP3 install those which are later dated. Is that what you suggested in your earlier reply to me?

Finally, I have questions about the 3 optional updates:
    - Windows Live Essentials
    - Office Live Add-In 1.4
    - MS Silverlight
    I do not seem to need any of these after reading their descriptions, although Silverlight seems innocuous and may be beneficial. I don't do pictures, videos, music stuff, just surf and email for the most part.

In summary:
    - can I remove the Office 2002 without harm.
    - is the procedure for applying the updates noted above a good way to proceed
    - are any of the optionals beneficial to a low usage person like me

Thanks, I await your response.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by flavet View Post
    Ten of the high p's are for Office 2002, which came with the PC from Dell. Less than 6 months after buying the PC, I purchased and installed Word and Excel applications out of MS Office Standard Edition 2003 package. So, I really believe that I can safely remove the Office 2002 folders and files, and need not apply the 10 updates for that product.
    I don't know whether you have the stomach for it, but I suspect you will get the best result by uninstalling all versions of Office, and then re-installing the full Standard Edition 2003 suite.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    I don't know whether you have the stomach for it, but I suspect you will get the best result by uninstalling all versions of Office, and then re-installing the full Standard Edition 2003 suite.
    Thank you for your reply.

However, I do not have any need for two of the applications in the 2003 pkg; no need to consume disk space with the many files it would add. Please note my initial post - I have been using 2003 Word and Excel for over 3 years with no problems except my skill level. I guess the only reason I have decided to apply all outstanding patches is because of something I saw somewhere about vulnerability to hackers. I felt I needed a more secure PC. Applying the patches as I stated above does not seem burdensome.

flavet

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by flavet View Post
    Finally, I have questions about the 3 optional updates:
    - Windows Live Essentials
    - Office Live Add-In 1.4
    - MS Silverlight
    You only need to install Windows Live Essentials if you want any of its applications - see Essentials - Windows Live.

You only need to install the Office Live Add-In if you want to upload Office documents to your Windows Live webspace - see Save Microsoft Office documents to Office Live Workspace.

Silverlight is Microsoft's alternative to Adobe Flash. There aren't many sites that require it yet, but who knows...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HansV View Post
    You only need to install Windows Live Essentials if you want any of its applications - see Essentials - Windows Live.

You only need to install the Office Live Add-In if you want to upload Office documents to your Windows Live webspace - see Save Microsoft Office documents to Office Live Workspace.

Silverlight is Microsoft's alternative to Adobe Flash. There aren't any sites that require it yet, but who knows...
    Hans,

Thank you for your quick reply. I think I will wait on the optionals.

flavet