Lounger
    Thanks
    I just installed Win7 on my laptop and I cannot see how to have it join my preexisting mixed home network.

Win7 uses "homegroups" but these are only for 7.

Any idea how can I configure it to join an XP/Vista "Workgroup"?

Does anyone else get confused by all these terminology changes? Are they really necessary?

Thanks

Richard

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    You can ignore the Homegroup functionality and just set up the network the same way as you always did.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The work Group name can be change by going to Start, Right Click Computer and select Properties. There mid page on right click Change settings. Now click on Change in the Workgroup area, now you can type in your network name.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have used the workgroup setting on my new Win 7 PCs to match my existing XP PCs, but the XPs can't see the Win 7s unless I explicitly share the drives and give Everyone access priviledges. Seems like there is something I am missing in the approach to adding Win 7.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I to have a similar issue with Windows 7 communicating and allowing access to my XP machine. I am trying to share a drive that is on a dual boot system. It has XP Pro as well as Windows 7 64bit installed on seperate partitions. When i was using only XP Pro i had no issue with sharing and allowing changes to those shared files with my other XP machine. SInce i installed Windows 7 i get a message stating i do not have permission to use this resource. i have tried to remove all sharing and repeat the steps again on both XP Pro as well as Windows 7.

TIA
    Jeff
    We are all just freaks on parade.
    Hear the Freak

New Lounger
    Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have found I get much better results if the two computers are using the same user name and password.
    It is the only way I have been able to get Vista and XP to play nicely together. I suspect this will help with sharing in Windows 7 as well.

Instead of making it easy to share files between computers with the same version of Windows, Microsoft should be working on making sharing easier between different versions of Windows.