Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    268
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I am attempting to protect certain cells on a worksheet from formatting only. I do the following:

    1. Select all cells
    2. Select Format Cells
    3. Activate Protection Tab
    4. Clear locked box
    5. Click OK
    6. Select source cells.
    7. Select Format Cells
    8. Activate Protection Tab
    9. Tick Locked Box.
    10. Click ok
    11. Select Tools, Protection, Protect Sheet
    12. Leave everything checked except the formatting boxes.
    13. Add a password.

    When I do this, I can't perform math or change the contents of the cells.

    Is it possible to only prevent formatting changes??? This is what I am attempting to do.

  2. #2
    Super Moderator WebGenii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    4,066
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    I just want to be sure I am actually answering your question. As I understand it.

    You wish to protect cells from formatting changes only. The user should still be able to edit content.

    If the above is your question the answer is no. Once cells are protected, their contents can not be changed. Formatting can be enabled on protected cells (the reverse of what you want).

    Can you give me more information about the situation. Perhaps there is a better strategy.
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

  3. #3
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    268
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WebGenii View Post
    I just want to be sure I am actually answering your question. As I understand it.

    You wish to protect cells from formatting changes only. The user should still be able to edit content.

    If the above is your question the answer is no. Once cells are protected, their contents can not be changed. Formatting can be enabled on protected cells (the reverse of what you want).

    Can you give me more information about the situation. Perhaps there is a better strategy.
    Yes -
    I have spreadsheet that is formatted a certain way. I update the numbers each month and add columns or rows, but I don't want any of the row/column formats, for the selected cells, to change.

  4. #4
    Super Moderator WebGenii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    4,066
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mitjones View Post
    Yes -
    I have spreadsheet that is formatted a certain way. I update the numbers each month and add columns or rows, but I don't want any of the row/column formats, for the selected cells, to change.
    So, no one else is entering data in the spreadsheet - it is just yourself you wish to protect the file from?
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

  5. #5
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    268
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    That's right - only myself. The reviewer of this has very precise standards. 2 decimal places, dollar signs on the first row and last row, conditional formatted such that less than zero is red, etc. If text is copied and pasted or a formula is entered in row 1 (dollar sign), and then dragged down to rows below the dollar sigh follows. As such, I 'd like to lock down just/onlyl the formatting.

    Apparently, this isn't possible?

  6. #6
    Super Moderator WebGenii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    4,066
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mitjones View Post
    That's right - only myself. The reviewer of this has very precise standards. 2 decimal places, dollar signs on the first row and last row, conditional formatted such that less than zero is red, etc. If text is copied and pasted or a formula is entered in row 1 (dollar sign), and then dragged down to rows below the dollar sigh follows. As such, I 'd like to lock down just/onlyl the formatting.

    Apparently, this isn't possible?
    Have you tried using styles? That is what I would do for myself, make styles for each special format and use them instead of directly applied formatting.
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

  7. #7
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    268
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WebGenii View Post
    Have you tried using styles? That is what I would do for myself, make styles for each special format and use them instead of directly applied formatting.
    "Styles." Can you provide an example?

  8. #8
    Super Moderator WebGenii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    4,066
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mitjones View Post
    "Styles." Can you provide an example?
    Are you using 2003 or 2007?
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •