EvanScamman

SQL statement in the ControlSource of a text box (Access)

I would like to set the control source property of a text box to this query:

SELECT Sum(tblOrderRequest.Cost) AS SumOfCost, tblOrderRequest.OrderRequestLinkID FROM tblOrderRequest GROUP BY tblOrderRequest.OrderRequestLinkID HAVING (((tblOrderRequest.OrderRequestLinkID)=[Forms]![frmOrderRequest]![OrderRequestLinkID]));

I tried typing an equals sign and then the query, but that doesn't. Is it possible to do this? is there a better way? Thank you,
    Evan

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: SQL statement in the ControlSource of a text box (Access)

Your best bet here is to use the builder - but it's rather unusual to use a SQL Select statement as the data source for a text box (you often do it for combo boxes however). In general, you make the expression or whatever a part of the query that the form is bound to. (I'm assuming that you are using a bound form, not an unbound one.)

Also note that the HAVING statement is seldom used in Access - the WHERE clause is usually preferred.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks

One problem with your SQL statement is that you are returning two fields to the text box. That likely makes it not work. If you are using the query builder to create the SQL statement, then uncheck the "Show" box for the criteria field.

EvanScamman

actually, my form is not bound to a table. that's why i need to get my data from a SQL statement. is this possible? can I run an SQL statement (sum) in VB and then set the text box to equal the single number result? it seems like this could be done, but i don't know how to do it.

EvanScamman

I unchecked the check box, then i select the SQL statement, copy it, and paste into the ControlSource in the text box properties. Do i need to put an = first then the SQL? should i put it in quotes too?
    I seem to get an error any way i try it.
    It makes me wonder if it is even possible to do this...
    Evan

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Two problems. One is that your SQL returns more than one field. The other is that you can't do it this way. Use a DSum doman aggregate function instead as the data source for your textbox. You can use SQL statements to populate comboboxes and listboxes, but not other controls.
    Charlotte