Star Lounger
    Thanks
    A few years ago I set up a template that allowed me to do a whole series of search and replace functions. I use that template to "process" output from a different program into something more like what I want for the final results. This template has worked great for many years. Until yesterday.

I created a new document from the template and noticed my custom tool buttons were gone. I figured somehow the toolbar had been closed. Hunted and didn't find the custom commands at all. My macros are not a part of the document.

I even went back and opened a document I created from this template 2 years ago. Again the macros are not part of that document either.

At this point I figure some recent Microsoft patch has "protected" me by stripping any unknown macros from a document any time it is opened. This theory make sense and can anyone point me in the right direction to getting my macros back?

I use MS Word 2003 on a Win XP Machine.

Thank you in advance.

Larry P

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Select Tools | Macro | Security...

If the security level has been set to High or Very High, macros will be disabled unless the VBA project has been digitally signed. Try setting the security level to Medium (Low is not advisable).

BTW, if the template is stored in your user templates or workgroup templates folder, you can enable macros automatically by ticking the check box "Trust all installed add-ins and templates" in the Trusted Sources tab of the Security dialog.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you HansV for the reply.

I tried setting the security level lower. That did nothing. I've always kept that on Medium and have only been asked about Macro's when opening a document I created.

Even setting the level to Low did nothing.

That was when I opened the list of available macros and did not find mine listed at all.

Since the morning post I opened the template on a computer running MSWord 2007. A look at the Macro's list shows mine are gone. Can't explain it.

Anyone got advice with other ideas to try?

Larry P

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Perhaps the template became corrupted. Do you have a backup copy?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry P View Post
    A few years ago I set up a template that allowed me to do a whole series of search and replace functions. I use that template to "process" output from a different program into something more like what I want for the final results. This template has worked great for many years. Until yesterday.

I created a new document from the template and noticed my custom tool buttons were gone. I figured somehow the toolbar had been closed. Hunted and didn't find the custom commands at all. My macros are not a part of the document.

I even went back and opened a document I created from this template 2 years ago. Again the macros are not part of that document either.

At this point I figure some recent Microsoft patch has "protected" me by stripping any unknown macros from a document any time it is opened. This theory make sense and can anyone point me in the right direction to getting my macros back?

I use MS Word 2003 on a Win XP Machine.

Thank you in advance.

Larry P
    Larry,

Your original post mentions a few times that the macros are no longer part of the document; it should be pointed out that never at any time were the macros 'part of the document' - the macros reside in the template that the document was created from; even after the document is created, it continues to get its toolbars and macros via a link with the originating template, rather than from within the document itself.

One possibility is that the documents have lost their link to their originating template - this can happen if the originating template is moved to a location where the document can no longer find it when it opens (or if the template was deleted for some reason).

One thing to try would be, with one of the documents open, to go to Tools > Templates and Add-In and take note of the path that's showing in the Document Template field - does that path match up with the known present location of the template? If it doesn't, you could reattach the template by clicking the Attach button and using the Attach Template dialog to navigate to the template's actual location (and then click 'Open' to reattach it).

Not sure if this is what's going on in your case, but worth a look.

Gary

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Frieder View Post
    Larry,

Your original post mentions a few times that the macros are no longer part of the document; it should be pointed out that never at any time were the macros 'part of the document' - the macros reside in the template that the document was created from; even after the document is created, it continues to get its toolbars and macros via a link with the originating template, rather than from within the document itself.

One possibility is that the documents have lost their link to their originating template - this can happen if the originating template is moved to a location where the document can no longer find it when it opens (or if the template was deleted for some reason).

One thing to try would be, with one of the documents open, to go to Tools > Templates and Add-In and take note of the path that's showing in the Document Template field - does that path match up with the known present location of the template? If it doesn't, you could reattach the template by clicking the Attach button and using the Attach Template dialog to navigate to the template's actual location (and then click 'Open' to reattach it).

Not sure if this is what's going on in your case, but worth a look.

Gary

Gary,

Good thought. Sadly, no luck. I even went to the "Organizer" tab on the Add-In dialog box. Looked in my template as HanS suggests above. Nope, not in the template any longer.

I even went back to several previous documents created using this same template. The macros are gone.

I know I haven't done anything to delete macros lately.

'Tis a puzzle to be sure.

Larry P

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Gary,

Good thought. Sadly, no luck. I even went to the "Organizer" tab on the Add-In dialog box. Looked in my template as HanS suggests above. Nope, not in the template any longer.

I even went back to several previous documents created using this same template. The macros are gone.

I know I haven't done anything to delete macros lately.

'Tis a puzzle to be sure.

Larry P
    That's too bad. In that case, as Hans said, a backup copy would be your only hope.

One other way this could possibly happen: if you were working in the template and Word crashed, then upon reopening prompted you to restore the template - this has happened to me a couple of times with the result of the macros missing from the 'restored' template (of course, you'd remember if that had happened to you!)

Gary

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Gary already pointed out that macros are not stored in documents based on a template, but in the template itself. So there is no point in looking at older documents based on the same template.
    It looks like the macros have really disappeared from the template, so you'll have to go through your backups to see if you can find a version of the template that still contains the macros. If you don't can't find one, the macros are completely lost. You will have to create them anew.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I found an old copy of the template. Macros there and restored to their expected place.

Nearly as I can figure, I must have done something to make changes to the template last time I used it. Don't recall doing anything. Sometimes things just happen I guess.

Lesson learned. Backup and keep copies of those important templates just like the data files.

Thanks all.

Larry P