New Lounger
    Thanks
    According to Microsoft, my current operating system (Vista Home Premium) cannot be upgraded via the "in place" method to any flavor of Windows 7 except Windows 7 Ultimate. Of course, Microsoft also says that you cannot use the Windows 7 upgrade disks for a full (new) installation, but you can. My question, then, is whether or not I can actually use the Windows 7 Professional upgrade disk for an "in-place" upgrade of my Windows Vista Home Premium setup? I would like to, since I was given a copy of the upgrade as a gift, and would hate to waste it or have to buy something else. Can I do this and,if so, what "tweaks" do I need to know in order to be able to do so?

Thanks!

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Can you post a link to this "According to Microsoft, my current operating system (Vista Home Premium) cannot be upgraded via the "in place" method to any flavor of Windows 7 except Windows 7 Ultimate."?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I could not find the site I found the first time - I did not write it down - but this one seems to say the same thing.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...8WS.10%29.aspx

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    Can you post a link to this "According to Microsoft, my current operating system (Vista Home Premium) cannot be upgraded via the "in place" method to any flavor of Windows 7 except Windows 7 Ultimate."?
    Dave,
    Check Woody's article in the latest Windows Secrets Newsletter.
    He shows a number of different ways to do some tricks with the Win 7 upgrade version despite what MS says.
    i don't have a current link to it but it should show on the WS newsletter home page.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey, Viking33 - thanks for the response!

I receive Windows Secrets, which is what led me to this board in the first place. In his article in WS Woody discusses ways to use the upgrade disks to do a full install, i.e., backup, wipe, do a new installation. What I am looking for is any information available on how to upgrade "in-place" (that is, a "real" upgrade, and not a clean install, which MS also refers to as an "upgrade)from Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional by using the Win7PRO upgrade disk to do an actual upgrade. MS says you can't, you have to start over from scratch and then reinstall your data and apps, but if Woody and others know how to work the system to do a clean installation with an upgrade disk, then perhaps someone knows how to do an upgrade "in place" with an upgrade disk, even if MS doesn't seem to support that.

Anyone?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiababy View Post
    Hey, Viking33 - thanks for the response!

I receive Windows Secrets, which is what led me to this board in the first place. In his article in WS Woody discusses ways to use the upgrade disks to do a full install, i.e., backup, wipe, do a new installation. What I am looking for is any information available on how to upgrade "in-place" (that is, a "real" upgrade, and not a clean install, which MS also refers to as an "upgrade)from Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional by using the Win7PRO upgrade disk to do an actual upgrade. MS says you can't, you have to start over from scratch and then reinstall your data and apps, but if Woody and others know how to work the system to do a clean installation with an upgrade disk, then perhaps someone knows how to do an upgrade "in place" with an upgrade disk, even if MS doesn't seem to support that.

Anyone?
    According to Windows 7 Upgrade Scenarios you can do an in-place upgrade from Vista HP to Windows 7 Pro. Remember that you can only do an in-place upgrade as long as you are not going from 32-bit to 64-bit or from 64-bit to 32-bit. Changing the "bitness" of the OS always requires a clean install.

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I upgraded from Vista Home Premium x64 to Windows 7 Home Premium x64. You can use Windows 7 Ultimate as long, as previously stated, the bit versions are the same.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies, folks - but I am still hoping for an answer to my specific question.

I am running Vista Home Premium x64. I have a copy - legitimately - of the Windows 7 Professional upgrade software. According to all the "knowledgeable" folks I have asked, including people at Microsoft, this software is designed to do an in-place upgrade to Win7PRO x64 from Windows Vista Business Edition x64 - and only that. I want to know if anyone knows of any method - registry tweaks or whatever, that will allow me to do an IN PLACE upgrade from my Vista to Win7PRO, regardless of what they say can be done. I know I can do a full, 'clean" install. I do not want to "wipe and start over". I know I can do an in place upgrade to Win 7 Ultimate, but I already have the upgrade to Win7PRO - and I do not want to shell out $220 to go to Ultimate.

So - do any of you know if there is an answer? MS is so vague in their advertising - they really do not differentiate between the "clean" installation (which they call an upgrade) and the "in place" upgrade (which is what I call an upgrade - I think the "clean" upgrade is really just a full, new, installation and should never be called an upgrade). Their ads say the various packages can upgrade earlier versions of Windows. They seem to hide the fact that the packages are really quite limited, and that each upgrade flavor can only be used to do a true upgrade - in place - of a very limited range of earlier products.

Thanks for any help you might be able to give!

Administrator
    Thanks
    I want to know if anyone knows of any method - registry tweaks or whatever, that will allow me to do an IN PLACE upgrade from my Vista to Win7PRO, regardless of what they say can be done. I know I can do a full, 'clean" install. I do not want to "wipe and start over".
    All articles I can find that state anything definitively says that you can NOT upgrade from a Vista consumer version to a Windows 7 business version. If you have access to Windows 7 Home Premium media a work around would be upgrade to Windows 7 Home premium (do not activate that copy), then upgrade to Windows 7 Pro from Windows 7 HP.

Be sure to fully backup your system and run Download details: Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor before beginning the upgrade process.

Joe

Thanks
    What I think is missing in this discussion is that there is a price difference between Home Premium and Professional. This is why Microsoft does not support using upgrade media doing an in place upgrade. As I see it you have two paths you could take.

1. Upgrade your Vista HP to Vista Professional Pro, using Microsoft any time Upgrade...basically just purchasing a different Key, then use your media to upgrade to Win 7 Pro.
    2. Upgrade Vista HP to Win 7 HP then pay for an in place upgrade to Win 7 Pro. This path seems much more expensive.

This is my understanding of the "Microsoft Way"...please correct me if I have misinterpreted Micorosoft's policies.

Bruce
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    What I think is missing in this discussion is that there is a price difference between Home Premium and Professional. This is why Microsoft does not support using upgrade media doing an in place upgrade. As I see it you have two paths you could take.

1. Upgrade your Vista HP to Vista Professional Pro, using Microsoft any time Upgrade...basically just purchasing a different Key, then use your media to upgrade to Win 7 Pro.
    2. Upgrade Vista HP to Win 7 HP then pay for an in place upgrade to Win 7 Pro. This path seems much more expensive.

This is my understanding of the "Microsoft Way"...please correct me if I have misinterpreted Micorosoft's policies.

Bruce
    I don't think that upgrading from Vista HP to Vista Pro is supported. You lose the Media Center & DVD bruning functionality.

Your second option is the only supported way to do what the OP wants performing in-place upgrades. Personally, I'd much rather do one clean install than two upgrades. From all that I've read Microsoft have improved the in-place upgrade process considerably but a clean install is still considered the best apporach.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Check out the following URL: http://icrontic.com/...-7-rc-to-retail. Although it addresses the in-place upgrade from Win7 Ultimate RC or Beta to Win7 Pro retail (32-to-32 or 64-to 64) (which Microsoft says can't be done), I think it may give you the clues necessary to do the same thing from Vista. It's a minor edit of one file on the install disk, and one registry value. Worked for me - I wanted the inplace "downgrade" from RC Ultimate to retail Professional, since like you, I already had a retail Professional package, and already had a fairly complex RC configuration running, which would have been slow and painful to reconstruct from scratch after a clean full install.

According to Microsoft, my current operating system (Vista Home Premium) cannot be upgraded via the "in place" method to any flavor of Windows 7 except Windows 7 Ultimate. Of course, Microsoft also says that you cannot use the Windows 7 upgrade disks for a full (new) installation, but you can. My question, then, is whether or not I can actually use the Windows 7 Professional upgrade disk for an "in-place" upgrade of my Windows Vista Home Premium setup? I would like to, since I was given a copy of the upgrade as a gift, and would hate to waste it or have to buy something else. Can I do this and,if so, what "tweaks" do I need to know in order to be able to do so?

Thanks!