5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Deja Vu (WordXP)

I upgraded from Office97 to Office XP on my Celeron 333 (64Mb, Win98SE) a couple of weeks ago and the installation went smoothly. However, every so often when I start WordXP, it goes into an installation routine, asking for the CD or a network path and installing something without saying what or why. The dialogue box, titled 'Installing components for Microsoft Word', merely says 'Installing: Microsoft Word feature'. The first time this occurred, I had started Word by clicking on a document icon and I thought that it might be installing a converter for that file type, but it also occurs when I simply start Word without a document, i.e. from a menu or toolbar shortcut. I usually just cancel out of the process and everything then works OK, but just now when I tried to cancel out as usual, Word would not continue loading unless I continued with the installation routine, saying 'Word has not been installed for this user'. (What 'user'?)What is being installed during these recurring but uninformative installation procedures, and why?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Deja Vu (WordXP)

Did you, by any chance, leave Office 97 installed on your computer when you upgraded to 2000? That may very well not be your problem, but it may point us in the right direction.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

NB I upgraded from Office 97 to XP, not 2000. I did not uninstall 97 before installing XP, but I gather that XP recognized that 97 was already installed and did an upgrade rather than a plain installation.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Did you find a solution to this problem because I've got the same thing happening?