4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Is there a way to disable the ability to use the "Do not deliver before" option in Outlook 2000 and Outlook 2003? We have some employees abusing the check-in/out system. I'm not seeing it in group policy but maybe I'm looking at the wrong place. Any help greatly appreciated.
    Daisy

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    It's been really a long time since I've looked at this, but I'm fairly certain that this is something that would need to be configured at the Server, rather than the Client (Outlook), level.

I don't know whether Exchange Server with OL2k|2k3 can automatically flush the Outboxes - or even if it could be granular enought to be targeted at only certain End Users.

HTH
    Gre

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay. That's a start. I'm having no luck finding that setting yet on our Exchange 2003 server. Maybe Active Directory setting? I'll look there too.
    Daisy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Nothing found looking through Exchange manager, searching technet, etc. If I can't block or disable this setting, is there a way to track on Exchange whenever someone uses this feature?
    Daisy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ailios View Post
    If I can't block or disable this setting, is there a way to track on Exchange whenever someone uses this feature?
    I created a message to myself, set "do not deliver before" to 5:12 PM, and then pressed Send (Outlook 03/Exchange 03). When I opened the received message a few minutes later, there was no visible indication that it was deferred, and nothing in the options dialog. Of course, that's not the end of the story because there are numerous hidden properties in a message.

I opened Tools > Forms > Design This Form > (All Fields) tab > "All Mail Fields" in the dropdown, and found "Defer Until=5:12 PM". The Sent time also is considerably earlier (2 minutes) than the Created time, but that might also be true for users who do not immediately connect to the server upon sending an individual message (no automatic send/receive).

I don't know whether you can search that in Message Tracking, for example, would you search for Defer Until <> null? would you need to know a MAPI property ID?

On a completely different track, it might be possible to use Group Policy to disable message options. This brief article doesn't drill down that far, but points the way for further exploration: Setting Outlook Group Policies | HowTo-Outlook.

== Edit ==

I see you mentioned group policy in your original post, so apologies if the above is duplicative.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Excellent. I'm going to try and see if they'll accept this as an alternative to disabling the setting. I can change reception's and admin's Inbox view to include a column for Delay Time. This will empower them to act on it immediately when it happens. I'm personally against disabling the setting because these users all know there is no expectation of privacy when it comes to the firm's computer equipment. Why change something for everyone just because a few bad apples want to lie about their comings and goings.
    Daisy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ailios View Post
    Excellent. I'm going to try and see if they'll accept this as an alternative to disabling the setting. I can change reception's and admin's Inbox view to include a column for Delay Time. This will empower them to act on it immediately when it happens. I'm personally against disabling the setting because these users all know there is no expectation of privacy when it comes to the firm's computer equipment. Why change something for everyone just because a few bad apples want to lie about their comings and goings.

See Do not deliver does not work as expected for several more things to consider.

Joe
    Joe