2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    We've just upgraded (I use that term loosely) from Word XP to Word 2007. We have a proprietary application we've used for years, one which added a custom menu in XP. In 2007 it's still adding that "menu" to the Add-Ins tab in the "Menu Commands" category.

One of my users has an older application called Reference Manager which also added a custom menu back in XP. He has NOT upgraded from the version he used in XP. Both menus show in the Menu Commands category, but he's only seeing the Reference Manager commands displaying in the menus, regardless of whether he clicks the menu for it or for our proprietary app. (Sorry I haven't included a screen shot; he's offline now).

Does anyone know what's causing this? Does 2007 only allow 1 custom menu? I wouldn't put it past Microsoft to have made such a short-sighted decision with this version since they clearly didn't care about their customers anyway...

I'm thinking the easy (tho not cheap) fix would be to upgrade the version of Reference Manager to something designed for 2007.

Thanks in advance,

Beej

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by itsjustb View Post
    We've just upgraded (I use that term loosely) from Word XP to Word 2007. We have a proprietary application we've used for years, one which added a custom menu in XP. In 2007 it's still adding that "menu" to the Add-Ins tab in the "Menu Commands" category.

One of my users has an older application called Reference Manager which also added a custom menu back in XP. He has NOT upgraded from the version he used in XP. Both menus show in the Menu Commands category, but he's only seeing the Reference Manager commands displaying in the menus, regardless of whether he clicks the menu for it or for our proprietary app. (Sorry I haven't included a screen shot; he's offline now).

Does anyone know what's causing this? Does 2007 only allow 1 custom menu? I wouldn't put it past Microsoft to have made such a short-sighted decision with this version since they clearly didn't care about their customers anyway...

I'm thinking the easy (tho not cheap) fix would be to upgrade the version of Reference Manager to something designed for 2007.

Thanks in advance,

Beej
    You can have multiple menus in 2007. What is probably happening is that Ref Manager is overwriting the custom app.
    Have you tried uninstalling both addins - then adding Ref Manager 1st, then your custom app?
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Thanks
    I've seen add-in menu conflicts (e.g., between two global templates) in versions of Word stretching back to Word 2000. I'm not sure how they do it, unless their code "assumes" the presence or absence of menus and toolbars and makes changes using a numeric index (e.g., 5th menu, 12th toolbar). Unfortunately, because third party add-ins generally are secured in some manner, it may not be possible to solve the mystery. However, renaming the template (e.g., so it loads in a different order) or the toolbar (just in case they conflict) might help.