Thread: Access denied

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I copied a folder originally created under Windows XP to a different hard drive. I am now running Vista, and I am trying to edit files in the folder using the same application which created them, JAlbum.

The folder properties show that at least some of the files were read-only. I unchecked read-only for the folder and all subfolders and files, and Vista obediently indicated that it was making all of the files writeable.

Then I opened the project in JAlbum, but when I went to save the first modified file, Vista indicated to me that it was unable to save the file because access is denied. It doesn't tell me what I need to do to gain access to these files.

I copied the files to a different folder, same problem.

I am using a different user name on the new computer, but I am operating with administrator privleges.

So, how do I regain access to this file which I created myself and in a more general sense, how do I stop Vista from stomping all over me when I attempt to use my computer to do useful work? I'm getting rather sick of this.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jsallen View Post
    I copied a folder originally created under Windows XP to a different hard drive. I am now running Vista, and I am trying to edit files in the folder using the same application which created them, JAlbum.

The folder properties show that at least some of the files were read-only. I unchecked read-only for the folder and all subfolders and files, and Vista obediently indicated that it was making all of the files writeable.

Then I opened the project in JAlbum, but when I went to save the first modified file, Vista indicated to me that it was unable to save the file because access is denied. It doesn't tell me what I need to do to gain access to these files.

I copied the files to a different folder, same problem.

I am using a different user name on the new computer, but I am operating with administrator privleges.

So, how do I regain access to this file which I created myself and in a more general sense, how do I stop Vista from stomping all over me when I attempt to use my computer to do useful work? I'm getting rather sick of this.
    Have a look at thsi Google Search - Take Ownership of Files in Vista.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions