3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The original author of a report selected Intense Emphasis heading style for a subheading. It needs to be Heading 3, modified as per our company's policy. No matter what I do, I cannot change from IE to H3. Word keeps switching it back. I deleted the subheading, switched the heading styles to Normal and to IE in the hopes it would reset whatever, but anything typed in this line in the document defaults to IE. What is going on here- how to fix it and why/how would Word lock the Styles into IE here?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ben000 View Post
    The original author of a report selected Intense Emphasis heading style for a subheading. It needs to be Heading 3, modified as per our company's policy. No matter what I do, I cannot change from IE to H3. Word keeps switching it back. I deleted the subheading, switched the heading styles to Normal and to IE in the hopes it would reset whatever, but anything typed in this line in the document defaults to IE. What is going on here- how to fix it and why/how would Word lock the Styles into IE here?
    I think this is happening because Heading 3 is a paragraph style, and Intense Emphasis is a character style, so it gets applied on top of Heading 3 so to speak. When you apply a different paragraph style, the character style is still there, and therefore continues to control things. Selecting the offending text and hitting Ctrl+Spacebar should clear the character style, revealing the underlying paragraph style.

Gary

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks- ctrl+space did the trick.