Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 32 or 64-bit?

Thanks
    My Windows 7 is coming! Oh goodie! But should I install 32 or 64-bit?

My hardware all checks out, as does (seemingly) my software. But can I install the 64-bit, see if it runs OK with everything, and if it does not, backtrack to the 32-bit?

Or is it a "one bit from the apple" type of deal?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    If you have less than 4GB of memory then you should install the 32 bit version. The only advantage of 64 bit is the ability to address more memory.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StuartR View Post
    If you have less than 4GB of memory then you should install the 32 bit version. The only advantage of 64 bit is the ability to address more memory.
    Ah...okay, thanks Stuart.

Regards,
    Chuck
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Stick with 32 bit, you find enough issues as it is.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    Stick with 32 bit, you find enough issues as it is.
    Now be nice Dave....I was thinking it might get me outa you guyses hair, not into it!

Regards,
    Chuck

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    This depends on your long-term plans and your present setup, but I am for 64-bit. First, you will find that 64-bit will comfortably perform with 3 GB of memory, unlike the resource-hungry Vista. Second, there is already an increasing number of familiar programs that offer 64-bit versions. Third, Office 10 will be arriving, when it arrives, with both 32 and 64-bit versions, which tells you the direction things are headed. Fourth, Dave is running 64-bit Windows 7, as his signature has told us all from very early in the game and in spite of what he says about 32-bit, and so am I on two computers, so far. In the short run updated drivers may be hard to get, but in the long run it is too important to ignore.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by peterg View Post
    This depends on your long-term plans and your present setup, but I am for 64-bit. First, you will find that 64-bit will comfortably perform with 3 GB of memory, unlike the resource-hungry Vista. Second, there is already an increasing number of familiar programs that offer 64-bit versions. Third, Office 10 will be arriving, when it arrives, with both 32 and 64-bit versions, which tells you the direction things are headed. Fourth, Dave is running 64-bit Windows 7, as his signature has told us all from very early in the game and in spite of what he says about 32-bit, and so am I on two computers, so far. In the short run updated drivers may be hard to get, but in the long run it is too important to ignore.

Peter:

But being on just one machine, suffering a lack of drivers could be serious. Which leads me around to what I was initially wondering: If I install 64-bit, and then change my mind, can I switch and go back to 32-bit, OD is it just one install, one time?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    But being on just one machine, suffering a lack of drivers could be serious. Which leads me around to what I was initially wondering: If I install 64-bit, and then change my mind, can I switch and go back to 32-bit, OD is it just one install, one time?
    I've installed a test Windows Server 2008 64-bit (~= Windows 7) on a 4 GB, Intel Core 2 Quad, PC, and found that my three HP printers (two Laserjets, one A3 (~=Legal) inkjet) were supported by the operating system. I had to find the 64-bit drivers for a large Canon photocopier/printer and install, but that was v. easy. I did find that with 'only' 4 GB, it occasionally took a couple of seconds to bring up the logon box from doing Ctrl+Alt+Del... (Fortunately the real server is having 24 GB of memory!)
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Peter:

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    Many more devices are supported "out of the box" by 64-bit Windows 7 than prior OSes. The drivers supplied with the OS are often just basic drivers to allow the device to work and do not take advantage of advanced features. I'm running a 64-bit Windows 7 at work without any driver problems. You should run the latest Windows Upgrade Advisor to check for problems.

If you change the "bitness" of the OS you are required to do a CLEAN install. An inplace upgrade is NOT allowed.

Joe
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Most of our hardware I have found drivers for, but my older Epson scanner which I can not even find Vista 32 bit drivers let alone Windows 7 64 bit drivers.

One thing to REALLY watch for, is some of the AV and disk programs do not have 64 bit versions, or if they do, the 32 bit will not work. You need to check almost all downloaded programs to see if they will run on 64 bit or not.

The wife's new laptop is a Sony AVIO 64 bit Windows 7 machine and she has not had any issues with any of her hardware.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I said that I was running 3 GB of RAM. If I need more I can add it at any time, memory is getting cheaper all the time, and I am in no hurry so long as it is running as well as it is.

Something that does worry me, especially with a clean install, is that I am effectively breaking the link with the manufacturer. As nearly as I can tell I am voiding the warranty, which matters a lot to me with one 4GB laptop that I purchased in the late spring as a desktop replacement, and I may be cutting myself off from my most important source of drivers and OEM utility program updates. Intel, for example, has a device detection service on its web site to see if your drivers for their devices are up-to-date, and it took one look at my Intel devices and reported that these were built to spec and the drivers would have to come from the computer manufacturer, which in this case is HP. For thirty bucks per computer I can subscribe to one of the driver supply services, but I donít know whether they will be able to provide such specialized stuff.

Yesterday I checked again for a 64-bit Win 7 driver for a LaserJet 1020, and HP has said that it will be available in Mid-November. That was their original story; they changed to offering a driver that didnít Ďtakeí so now itís back to Ďitís comingí. The reason I report that is that new drivers for old devices are coming from the manufacturers all the time, but there is a delay in their availability. You may have to get by with a generic driver or a dead peripheral in the short run, but eventually you may have the full shot if you keep checking.

One point I failed to make is that 64-bit is inherently safer than 32-bit. As I understand it, anti-malware programs donít cover the territory because malware itself canít run there.

Thanks
    Guys, the one thing I don't believe I saw any response for was:

If I install the 64-bit, and decide it's not working, can I go back and install the 32-bit instead, or is it locked out on the install DVD?

Regards,
    Chuck

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

If I install the 64-bit, and decide it's not working, can I go back and install the 32-bit instead, or is it locked out on the install DVD?

Regards,
    Chuck
    You are now asking a slightly different question that your original about switching from 64-bit to 32-bit. You can do that. Whenever you change the "bitness" you must do a clean install.

Joe
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Regards,
    Chuck
    That is correct. You did not receive an answer to that question.

If you asked it, it seems long forgotten, but it's a fun sort of forum.

My personal best answer is that no, you are certainly not 'somehow locked out' on the DVD, as many of us who have had to perform many re-installs can attest. It will be tied to that particular computer, but you may have to perform any number of clean installs over the life of the computer.

I may be going out on a limb with this, and I may be corrected by Dave, but I think I read in one 'official' place that the 25-character installation code would be the same for both the 32-bit version and for the 64-bit version (which makes sense if you realize that either can be tied to that computer, and if you have a multiboot setup then both can co-exist on the same machine). You might even like to try that to make the comparison you are asking us to make for you.

I have just downloaded the latest full-featured 64-bit software with driver for Wacom Bamboo Fun, which was released on November 12. Maybe we should start tracking new drivers.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I received a key code that was good for both 32 and 64 bit for my RTM copy, I then had the choice to installed one version. But, once I used the key code and activated it, the key code is LOCKED to that version (32 or 64)of the OS. I did download BOTH version, I just need to buy another license for the other (32 bit) version if I wish to install it, or I can use it make a 32 bit DVD to do repairs and other installs using a provided key code.

It is the same with the Vista RETAIL that have BOTH 32 and 64 bit DVDs, and only one key code. I assume that the Windows 7 retail is the same. Once installed the key code can be used as required on the same machine as many things as needed using the same bit type.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast