Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    308
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    There are two footnotes in a report, the 1st uses the number 3 and the second the number 7. Obviously, I want to change them to 1 and 2. References>Footnotes>start at 1, whole document, continuous, apply didn't result in any change. Do I have to accept all changes to the document for this to take effect?

    PS- when I accept the changes to the Word doc, it crashes. Tried it 3x in a row, always with the same results (Word 2007 hangs and I have to force close it). Anyone got any suggestions?

  2. #2
    Plutonium Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    84,353
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 29 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ben000 View Post
    Do I have to accept all changes to the document for this to take effect?
    Yes, indeed.

  3. #3
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    308
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    updated my original post with Word crash info- dunno what's going on there

  4. #4
    Plutonium Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    84,353
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 29 Times in 29 Posts
    You might try copying the contents of the report into a new document:

    • Create a new document, if possible based on the same template as the report.
    • Make sure that Track Changes is off in the new document.
    • Switch to the report.
    • Press Ctrl+A to select the entire document.
    • Press Shift+left arrow to exclude the last paragraph mark from the selection.
    • Press Ctrl+C to copy the selection.
    • Switch to the new document.
    • Press Ctrl+V to paste.

  5. #5
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    308
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HansV View Post
    You might try copying the contents of the report into a new document:

    • Create a new document, if possible based on the same template as the report.
    • Make sure that Track Changes is off in the new document.
    • Switch to the report.
    • Press Ctrl+A to select the entire document.
    • Press Shift+left arrow to exclude the last paragraph mark from the selection.
    • Press Ctrl+C to copy the selection.
    • Switch to the new document.
    • Press Ctrl+V to paste.

    tried that, but Word still crashes/hangs

  6. #6
    Plutonium Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    84,353
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 29 Times in 29 Posts
    Try saving the document as a HTML file, then as a Word document again.

    If that doesn't work either, I fear that the document is toast.


  7. #7
    3 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    308
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    someone at work tried accepting the changes to the document on his computer and was able to. what might be the problem w/my copy of word 2007? it's a new install, and has been patched via windows updates.

  8. #8
    Plutonium Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    84,353
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 29 Times in 29 Posts
    I'm sorry, I have no idea. Perhaps someone who has Word 2007 can help.


  9. #9
    Super Moderator jscher2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Silicon Valley, USA
    Posts
    23,112
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 93 Times in 89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ben000 View Post
    someone at work tried accepting the changes to the document on his computer and was able to. what might be the problem w/my copy of word 2007? it's a new install, and has been patched via windows updates.
    If you have a copy of the problem document in its earlier, problematic form, you could test with all customizations (add-ins, macros, etc.) disabled. Restart Word with the /a switch (e.g., Start > Run > winword.exe /a) and try to accept the changes. If that works, then I would suspect an add-in problem.

    There's also a handy Star Post you could check out: [topic=197827]Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word[/topic]. Obviously there are difference in Office 2007, but the troubleshooting approach still makes sense.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •