2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I got the Windows 7 x64 upgrade a few days after it was released.

After doing an in-place upgrade, which seemed to go with no problems, I'd get a BSOD on shutdown or restart.

I then restored my HP (quad core with 8 gb of memory) to the original configuration and re-upgraded.

Same deal.

I had set Vista to no paging file since I wanted to force the paging file to memory. This ran fine in Vista and I still had 4 gb memory free under the worst scenario.

I again restored Vista, set the paging file to system managed, and re-upgraded.

Absolutely no problems as a result.

Go figure.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Interesting, but this suggests that Win 7 uses the paging file differently than Vista does (but how is the $64 dollar question right now)

NefCanuck

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I upgraded from Vista Home Premium x64 to Windows 7 Home Premium x64, and it appears as if my system is very similar to mdenison's (HP quad core with 8 gb of memory). However, my page file was system managed under Vista. I was thinking of disabling the page file under Windows 7 but I think I'll hold off.

By the way, my upgrade appeared to go smoothly but when I tried to run programs under Windows 7 I got an error message advising that Windows couldn't verify the digital signature of the file. After doing some research, I discovered that the Norton User Account Control (UAC) should have been uninstalled before upgrading (Norton UAC wasn't listed during the compatibility check). I was able solve the problem by booting Windows 7 in Safe mode and uninstalling Norton UAC. I've been running Windows 7 since the day after it was released and haven't had a single problem.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The only issue I've had since installing Windows 7 x64 is that Windows explorer sometimes locks up, resulting in a restart of the program. Just a minor annoyance, but an annoyance none the less. This also happened when running Vista x64.

I just got my free Windows 7 x64 disc from Microsoft (for attending the Microsoft Windows 7 free seminar about a month ago). All I had to do was enter the product key into the Anytime upgrade window. It didn't even require the new Ultimate disc. 10 minutes and two reboots, I had Windows Ultimate. The Windows XP virtual machine is really slick. Although I spent a good hour letting Windows XP Update do all the patches and changes (from within Windows 7).

I had a software package that won't install under Windows 7 - the vendor is going to release a version that does - and it runs just fine in the Windows XP virtual machine.

BTW, installing additional languages in Windows Ultimate takes a long time. About 10 minutes per language. Now my wife can fiddle around in French.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mdenison View Post
    The only issue I've had since installing Windows 7 x64 is that Windows explorer sometimes locks up, resulting in a restart of the program. Just a minor annoyance, but an annoyance none the less. This also happened when running Vista x64.
    FYI, the same thing happens to me with 32 bit Win7. I have one machine Win7 x64, another x86, and both exhibit more frequent Explorer failure than XP. The good news is that it restarts itself most times, something XP wouldn't do.