2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've got Windows 7 Home Premium installed. I went to a Microsoft seminar where all attendees were given Windows 7 Ultimate. Unfortunately, the x64 version is distributed by mail for those of us that preferred that to the x32 copy.

Anybody have a clue on what I'm going to have to do to upgrade my existing version once it arrives?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Once you have installed and activated your copy with the key code that you were given, it can not be used for the other version. You will may be given another key code for your 64 bit version, other wise it would be the same as giving you 2 licenses.

Besides, one can NOT do a upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit, one MUST do a clean install.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mdenison View Post
    I've got Windows 7 Home Premium installed. I went to a Microsoft seminar where all attendees were given Windows 7 Ultimate. Unfortunately, the x64 version is distributed by mail for those of us that preferred that to the x32 copy.

Anybody have a clue on what I'm going to have to do to upgrade my existing version once it arrives?
    If you are running a 64-bit Windows 7 already you should be able to do an inplace upgrade. If you are running an 32-bit Windows 7, you'll have to do a clean install. In either case, be sure to back up anything important to you before you begin the process.

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Both versions are x64. Windows Ultimate will come with its own key as it's the full, non-upgrade, version. The Home Premium version I have was bought as an upgrade and also has its own key.