New Lounger
    Thanks
    I apparently have a Windows Media Player failure in my Vista Business installation on an HP laptop.

Unfortunately, I do not have my original OEM Vista disk with me here in Thailand. (I live in Phuket and frequent Woody's Sandwich Shop in Chalong. He has some of the best bagels in Phuket.)

I chatted with a Microsoft employee somewhere in my continent and despite it being a paid-for call, he offered no assistance whatsoever. (Good news: Microsoft gave me a refund upon complaint to the manager.)

Several questions:

1. I thought there wasa back-up copy of Vista on a partition on my hard disk which I could use to "repair" a failure, like that of the WMP. Is this true or do I still need the disk?

2. I thought this might be a good opportunity to upgrade to Windows 7; local shops here in Phuket do sell an OEM version of Windows 7 Home Premium. Can I install this OEM version over my current Vista Business and have it be recognized as valid by Microsoft?

3. Alternatively, do I need to purchase a brand-new, off the self version of Windos 7 and have someone bring it to me from the U.S.?

Thanks for your assistance.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidPhuke View Post
    1. I thought there wasa back-up copy of Vista on a partition on my hard disk which I could use to "repair" a failure, like that of the WMP. Is this true or do I still need the disk?

2. I thought this might be a good opportunity to upgrade to Windows 7; local shops here in Phuket do sell an OEM version of Windows 7 Home Premium. Can I install this OEM version over my current Vista Business and have it be recognized as valid by Microsoft?

3. Alternatively, do I need to purchase a brand-new, off the self version of Windos 7 and have someone bring it to me from the U.S.?

Thanks for your assistance.
    1. There may be a recovery partition available. However, that is used to restore your PC to the way it left the factory not to do a repair. You'll lose all your data and any programs you've installed since getting the PC. So, if you pursue this path be sure to backup anything you don't want to lose before attempting a restore.

2. A couple of things to note. You may not be getting an English version of Windows 7 in Phuket. You can not do an inplace upgrade from Vista Business to Windows 7 HP. That would have to be a clean install. See Windows 7 Upgrade Scenarios

Joe
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Yes, my HP had a Vista recover partition, until I installed Windows 7.

Go to http://www.pctechbytes.com/hprecovery-vista.htm for full instructions.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperez View Post
    1. There may be a recovery partition available. However, that is used to restore your PC to the way it left the factory not to do a repair. You'll lose all your data and any programs you've installed since getting the PC. So, if you pursue this path be sure to backup anything you don't want to lose before attempting a restore.

2. A couple of things to note. You may not be getting an English version of Windows 7 in Phuket. You can not do an inplace upgrade from Vista Business to Windows 7 HP. That would have to be a clean install. See Windows 7 Upgrade Scenarios

Joe
    Thank you, Joe; very helpful.