Thread: Windows on D?

Thanks
    This may seem inrrelevant, but I just installed Windows 7 (RTM), and it set drive "C" for the 100 megs of whatever, and installed Windows on Ddrive "D".

How can O set this to drive "C"? Seemi9ngly pointlees, but it's all what you're used to, right?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CWBillow View Post
    This may seem inrrelevant, but I just installed Windows 7 (RTM), and it set drive "C" for the 100 megs of whatever, and installed Windows on Ddrive "D".

How can O set this to drive "C"? Seemi9ngly pointlees, but it's all what you're used to, right?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    See this extensive discussion about drive letters - Selecting the drive letter during OS installation.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    This may seem irrelevant, but I just installed Windows 7 (RTM), and it set drive "C" for the 100 megs of whatever, and installed Windows on drive "D".
    I understood this 100/200 MB drive in Windows 7 was supposed to be hidden? There are ever so many hits on Google for "windows 7 hidden partition"...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    OK, here's the update to my question:

The hidden partition does NOT show in My Computer;
    The hidden partition DOES show in right-clicking My Computer, selecting Manage, and then Disk Management;
    The partition is seen as drive "C" within Windows;

The partition is seen as drive "D" in imaging software (True Image).

Batcher, your link does address this, and maybe what I'll do is image my install, walk through those steps, and then restore the image.

I'm just not sure of if Windows really DOES need that space (?), and therefore would I be screwing myself up to "fix it".

I would just like to get all the "kinks" out of this base install, and image it, so that I would only need to do it once!

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Thanks
    #1 The hidden partition does NOT show in My Computer;
    #2 The hidden partition DOES show in right-clicking My Computer, selecting Manage, and then Disk Management;
    #3 The partition is seen as drive "C" within Windows;
    I would have said that assertions 1 and 2 were to be expected for a hidden partition, since only Disk Management sees hidden partitions.
    But assertion 3 seems entirely contradictory to the previous two!

Are you really, really, really, sure that this 100 MB hidden partition is the one which you say Windows sees as drive C:? I am both sceptical and disbelieving, simultaneously...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    I would have said that assertions 1 and 2 were to be expected for a hidden partition, since only Disk Management sees hidden partitions.
    But assertion 3 seems entirely contradictory to the previous two!

Are you really, really, really, sure that this 100 MB hidden partition is the one which you say Windows sees as drive C:? I am both sceptical and disbelieving, simultaneously...
    Batcher, I'm sorry, I was unclear. The *system* partition (Windows is installed here) is seen as "C" within Windows, but "D" within True Image.

Chuck

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Batcher, I'm sorry, I was unclear. The *system* partition (Windows is installed here) is seen as "C" within Windows, but "D" within True Image.
    It is not uncommon for imaging software to display drive letters differently than what they are within Windows. That is why I and others highly recommend that you NAME your partitions for easy identification. You can do that using the "Disk Management" utility in Windows itself.
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Chuck
    Now that's a completely different story.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Argus View Post
    Now that's a completely different story.
    Sorry guys for the blunder...

Chuck

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    I understood this 100/200 MB drive in Windows 7 was supposed to be hidden? There are ever so many hits on Google for "windows 7 hidden partition"...

Batcher, it appears that the remedy in the link you posted works great!

Thanks,
    Chuck

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
    It is not uncommon for imaging software to display drive letters differently than what they are within Windows. That is why I and others highly recommend that you NAME your partitions for easy identification. You can do that using the "Disk Management" utility in Windows itself.
    I do exactly what Jeff does, but I right-click on the drive in Computer and add a name in Properties. I do the same thing with flash drives and other removable drives. Keep the name fairly short and silly, and you won't forget which drive you are on so long as you can see its name.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by peterg View Post
    I do exactly what Jeff does, but I right-click on the drive in Computer and add a name in Properties. I do the same thing with flash drives and other removable drives. Keep the name fairly short and silly, and you won't forget which drive you are on so long as you can see its name.
    Peter, that does help. Also, as noted above, getting rid of the stinking 100 meg drive puts everything back in sink too. So between the two ideas, all is well!

Thanks,
    Chuck