Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm getting a new computer at work. I've been using Word 2000 on Windows 98--yeh, I know. I expect the new computer will be using Vista. So I assume I may have to use Word 2003. My main concern is that I'll lose my auto-correct entries. I use these a lot to enter boilerplate entries a couple of keystrokes--for instance "fe" will result in "Rest of functional enquiry normal." This is one of the shorter ones. How do I transfer this information to the new computer and new copy of Word? I've been using my current version of Word on Windows 2000 for about eight years and have a lot of these auto-correct entries so not only would it be a pain in the neck recreating them all one-by-one but I'm not sure I could remember all the items I have accumulated.

Thanks.

Bruce

Thanks
    Have a look at Windows Easy Transfer - or specifically for auto-correct, this article.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    Have a look at Windows Easy Transfer - or specifically for auto-correct, this article.
    Thank,Leif,

The explanation in that article should work. Easy Transfer won't work on a Windows 98 machine.

Thanks again,

Bruce

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Can I use the normal.dot from Office 2000 in Office 2003? Does it matter which version of Windows either is running in?

Bruce

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce_Evans View Post
    Can I use the normal.dot from Office 2000 in Office 2003? Does it matter which version of Windows either is running in?
    I think you can, but I have seen it recommended that you start over with a fresh Normal.dot. You can use the Organizer (easily accessed from the Macros dialog) to copy styles, macros, and other good stuff from your old template into the new one. For example, migrate your old Normal template into the Templates folder but rename it oldNormal.dot. Using this approach, you will have to change the Page Setup settings (e.g., default margins) manually, but you will eliminate any unwanted "baggage" in the hidden regions of the old template.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce_Evans View Post
    I'm getting a new computer at work. I've been using Word 2000 on Windows 98--yeh, I know. I expect the new computer will be using Vista. So I assume I may have to use Word 2003. [...]

Bruce
    Since Microsoft is no longer selling Office 2003, it's also possible that your new computer will have Office 2007. These two sites may help you or our IT person.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc179177.aspx
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926927/en-us

HTH,
    Pam
    Pam Caswell