Thanks
    I can find quite a lot of Stuff about settings being kept when moving from Office 2003 to 2007, but I can't find anything relating to our intended move from Office 2002=XP to Office 2003. Can anyone say if this works without backups of settings files being needed?

Come to that, does the "Save My Settings" wizard exist in Office 2002? (Would have to go into work to find out!).

Neither can I find a handy list of the settings files for all the Office components - off the top of my head I can only think of the 'nicknames' file .NK2 in Outlook, the Outlook signatures file, the Word custom dictionary and AutoCorrections List (.ACL)...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    Come to that, does the "Save My Settings" wizard exist in Office 2002? (Would have to go into work to find out!).
    Yes, this feature is available in Office XP (aka 2002); it's in Start | (All) Programs | Microsoft Office Tools or in Start | (All) Programs | Microsoft Office | Microsoft Office Tools (this seems to vary between installations).

If you install Office 2003 as an upgrade, without uninstalling Office XP first, settings should be transferred automatically. If you completely uninstall Office XP before installing Office 2003, you'll need the Save My Settings Wizard.

BTW, I use Office XP at home and Office 2003 at work. The differences are relatively small, and I don't see any compelling reason to move from XP to 2003.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HansV View Post
    BTW, I use Office XP at home and Office 2003 at work. The differences are relatively small, and I don't see any compelling reason to move from XP to 2003.
    Thanks, Hans. I have exactly the opposite!
    We have to move because our externally-written database/mail program will, in the next incarnation in a few months' time, require Access 2003 and Outlook 2003. Otherwise I'd have been quite happy to stay with Office XP/2002 at work - especially when you see the nastiness of Outlook 2003. The other option was a move to Office 2007, but the learning curve on that is too extreme and horrible for mere mortals...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    The other option was a move to Office 2007, but the learning curve on that is too extreme and horrible for mere mortals...
    I have been going through that learning curve over the last few weeks. So long as you install the "Search Commands" add in it isn't as bad as I had been led to expect.

Thanks
    Otherwise I'd have been quite happy to stay with Office XP/2002 at work - especially when you see the nastiness of Outlook 2003.
    I've been reasonably happy with Outlook 2003, but perhaps by now I've forgotten the special joys of Outlook 2002? One thing about the 3-column interface: you really need a wide-aspect monitor to make the most of it.