Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Brian, you wrote:

...however, the ability to show how recently something was updated in relative time (1 hour ago, etc.) was one of the benefits of IP.Board 3.0 that Lounge badgeholders asked us to upgrade from 2.x to get.
    I have no recollection of this being discussed by anyone - in fact it would have been a reason for me, and many others by the reaction I've seen, for not upgrading to IP.Board 3.0!

The re-introduction of real time is appreciated, but we have gone back to am and pm suffixes which, by popular demand some years ago, were replaced by using 24 hour format. Having to check if the stated time was made before or after noon seems a backward step, and is made all the more irritating when the suffix appears on a separate line:

[attachment=86485:x2.gif]

Can we go back to 24hr format time please?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree with Leif.

Could we please have absolute time everywhere, and in 24 hour format?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I to, would like the 24 hr timing,

Also how does one get the REAL time as all I can ever get is the relative time.

[attachment=86498:RealTime.JPG]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    ..however, the ability to show how recently something was updated in relative time (1 hour ago, etc.) was one of the benefits of IP.Board 3.0 that Lounge badgeholders asked us to upgrade from 2.x to get.
    ...I have no recollection of this being discussed by anyone - in fact it would have been a reason for me, and many others by the reaction I've seen, for not upgrading to IP.Board 3.0!

...Can we go back to 24hr format time please?
    Quote Originally Posted by HansV View Post
    ...Could we please have absolute time everywhere, and in 24 hour format?
    As someone with a similarly deficient memory, can I please add my name to the list of those who found IPBoard 3.0 a definite step backward in its awareness of time....
    Grüße

Thanks
    Yet another vote in favour...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Me too. Times should ALWAYS be displayed as

03:00, 15:00 etc.

Not 3:00 PM
    Not 3:00
    and definitely not 2 hours ago

This is the only sensible way to represent time in an international forum.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StuartR View Post
    Me too. Times should ALWAYS be displayed as

03:00, 15:00 etc.

Not 3:00 PM
    Not 3:00
    and definitely not 2 hours ago

This is the only sensible way to represent time in an international forum.
    Right on, Stuart, etal.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Thanks
    I don't have such strong feelings about how time is displayed. However, I have to join Leif on this point: I can't recall anyone ever saying the time display was a problem or was broken in the previous version of the Lounge. I think the relative time idea originated with the UI redesign as an improvement that would benefit casual and new users.

I would compare this debate with the one over the Office 2007 ribbon: you can't always gauge user acceptance from focus groups and time and motion studies.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    [snip]
    I agree with Leif et al.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    I to, would like the 24 hr timing,

Also how does one get the REAL time as all I can ever get is the relative time.
    Dave,
    As I think you would have seen by the discussions so far in the Suggestion box, it is actual time (real time) in most places but
    • The Lounge Lobby
    • Forum views
    • Search results
    • Last Active (Member profile) and mini-profile pop up

As far as I know.

I.e. in threads (in posts), Manage followed threads, Manage followed forums, Messages etc. it is actual time, albeit in 12 hour format.

And this "12/24 format" is not a user setting, thus the reason for this thread.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Argus View Post
    Dave,
    As I think you would have seen by the discussions so far in the Suggestion box, it is actual time (real time) in most places but
    • The Lounge Lobby
    • Forum views
    • Search results

As far as I know.

I.e. in threads (in posts), Manage followed threads, Manage followed forums, Messages etc. it is actual time, albeit in 12 hour format.

I could care less about any managed threads, All I want to see is REAL time in ALL of the the forum listings. This relative time is totally useless in my thinking. As far as I am concerned it is NOT fixed.

We had REAL time in version 2 why do we need this relative time in version 3?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    I could care less about any managed threads, All I want to see is REAL time in ALL of the the forum listings. This relative time is totally useless in my thinking. As far as I am concerned it is NOT fixed.

We had REAL time in version 2 why do we need this relative time in version 3?
    Dave,
    I agree, as I said in post 803223.

I just answered your question, or was it a statement, about: "...as all I can ever get is the relative time".

However, you did show a forum view. And I agree, again, that it is equally important there. In fact, I am really annoyed by this relative time, as I think I have mentioned elsewhere.

P.S. I do not use "Manage followed threads" or "Manage followed forums" since I find the UI a bit too clunky, so I guess I also "could care less about any managed threads"; eh, actually, I couldn't care less about any managed threads.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Argus View Post
    Dave,
    • The Lounge Lobby
    • Forum views
    • Search results

As far as I know.

I like having relative time in those (limited) areas because it makes it easier to scan.

But I would also have to agree with 24-hour time notation, for the same reason. My brain reacts more quickly to 24-hour format.

My B 0.02... Er, $ 0.02...
    Woody

For Dummies book author, Senior Contributing Editor for InfoWorld, and long-suffering Windows victim. Check out the latest at AskWoody.com.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    I like having relative time in those (limited) areas because it makes it easier to scan.

But I would also have to agree with 24-hour time notation, for the same reason. My brain reacts more quickly to 24-hour format.

My B 0.02... Er, $ 0.02...
    Woody,
    I agree with you that the forums should be easy to scan, definitely.

But the forums are already sorted with the latest thread at the top (or the thread with the latest reply). And when we get all the icons working, showing if read or not, showing if one has participated or not, then it is easy to scan:

• Which are the latest posts?
    • Which are the latest posts that I have not read?
    • Which are the latest posts that I have participated in?
    • Etc.

Posts are already sorted, as it is, latest first; icons, well, in New content, Search results, Active content (Today's active posts) and in followed threads (Your followed items) the icons do show if you have participated in a thread. I guess all these views have the search in common. But in the forum view it is also very useful to be able to see participation (actually even more important). I guess the Admins and Support admins are working on the icons there.

What is then left? The time and date.

I don't see relative time as something making it easier to scan; the posts are already sorted by last activity. Contrary, relative time makes it more difficult, IMHO, since the number, at a quick glance, doesn’t tell you the whole truth; 1 hour, 1, day, 1 week. Being relative, it also keep changing (until some 4 weeks old or so), this makes it difficult to follow and compare posts and threads. Not to mention that mixing actual and relative time adds even more calculations. Relative time also group threads, 1 week, 2 weeks etc. and obviously there can be several days between the last posts in threads all grouped as “1 week” old.

I agree with you and Stuart, one reacts more quickly to 24-hour format. And for me that is more important in the "limited areas" than in messages etc.

Just some thoughts, my 0.14 SEK.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Two points I want to echo / repreat / bring up from the Day 8 fixes.

Firstly, I agree with the others, relative time has got to go - completely. I don't care if a post was made or replied to 2 hours ago. I want to know if there's been any activity in a forum / thread since HH:mm, which is when I last visited. I know when I normally visit the lounge by absolute time.... I didn't visit 5 hours ago.

Secondly, re: Tweak names and positions that are confusing in forum nomenclature.

It appears the Non-Outlook email forum was moved to "Office Applications". I can understand wanting to keep it near the "Outlook" forum, however it also needs to be near the third-party browsers forum, as they are also closely related. Please reconsider moving this BACK to it's previous location, OR MOVING browsers to Office Applications (where it doesn't belong).
    Christopher Baldrey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast