4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    anyone have a recommendation for a free/shareware duplicate file finder that will scan internal and two external hard drives?
    Thanks.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I use Clonespy:

With CloneSpy you can process files which

* are duplicates
    * are duplicates and have the same file name
    * have the same file name
    * have the same file name and (approximately) the same size
    * are zero bytes long

CloneSpy offers you a complete mechanism for determining which duplicate or same-name files should be removed. It is also possible to leave this decision up to the individual user.

CloneSpy can handle equal files by

* deleting redundant files
    * moving redundant files to a specific folder
    * exporting a list of all equal files without removing any files
    * deferring file operations on redundant files to a batch file where you can apply arbitrary file operations
    * replacing redundant files with shortcuts or hard links (NTFS) to retained files

With CloneSpy you can build checksum files from files on CDs (or even on hard drives, etc.) and use them to check whether these files already exist on your system. The checksum files will prevent you from having to play DJ every time you search for duplicates!
    Hope this helps,

Chris

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jepalmer View Post
    anyone have a recommendation for a free/shareware duplicate file finder that will scan internal and two external hard drives?
    There is jv16 PowerTools which includes a duplicate file finder utility along with many other 'tools'. However, I personally would caution you when using any "Duplicate File Finder" utility as it is so very easy to delete desirable duplicate files.
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I have earlier used DoubleKiller, the free version.

http://www.bigbangenterprises.de/en/doublekiller/

If you search this forum for, for ex.; "+duplicate +files", you will find some threads on the topic.

For example this one: [topic=690440]find duplicate files (XP) (in the Other Applications forum)[/topic], with some duplicate examples from this thread.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks.
    There was a nice piece of software, called Duplicate File Finder (version 1.1) from 2006 by Rashid Hoda. Unfortunately, his original website is not there anymore, but you may find it in one of the numerous freeware collections.

It is very useful, user-oriented and working perfectly in XP.

Adam

Thanks
    Thanks.

I echo Argus with his caution in using these Dup Finders. I have never trusted them, since as he states, another program might need that copy in it's exact place, not somewhere else on your HD.
    I am a great believer in cleaning up junk and superfluous files, etc but I do draw the line with the duplicate finders.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by viking33 View Post
    I echo Argus with his caution in using these Dup Finders. I have never trusted them, since as he states, another program might need that copy in it's exact place, not somewhere else on your HD.
    I am a great believer in cleaning up junk and superfluous files, etc but I do draw the line with the duplicate finders.
    I think it is down to the user. I would never use a duplicate file finder on my system drive but I have used them on my data drives. I think a better place to draw the line is with registry cleaners.

Chris