3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Whenever clicking a URL linking to another Access database in a URL field, Access will create another instance of itself.
    Say, a database named ABC.accdb contains a field named URL.
    The value of a record's URL is DEF.accdb. If that field is clicked, Access will create two windows: DEF.accdb and ABCD.accdb. Now we have two instances of ABC.accdb.
    The value of another record URL in ABC.accdb is XYZ.accdb. It that field is clicked, Access will create two windows: XYZ.accdb and ABCD.accdb. Now we have three instances of ABC.accdb.
    Why does Access create any addition instance of itself whenever a URL linking to another Access database is clicked?
    Armstrong

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The screenshot shows 3 instances of the library.accdb.
    Armstrong
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Unlike Word, where multiple documents can be opened within a single instance of Word, each instance of Access can only open one database. So to open a second database you need a second instance of Access.
    Why? I don't know...
    Regards
    John

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnhutchison View Post
    Unlike Word, where multiple documents can be opened within a single instance of Word, each instance of Access can only open one database. So to open a second database you need a second instance of Access.
    Why? I don't know...
    Hi John,
    Thanks for your reply. Perhaps you miss my question. My question: Whenever doubling clicking a URL linking to an Access database, it will generate 2 instances of Access windows—itself and the linked database. Why?
    Of course, it should open the linked Access database. But why does it open once again itself?
    I discover it only occurs if a form is set in the Display Form in Access Options in Access 2007.
    When Display Form is set none, it only creates the instance of the linked Access database.
    Armstrong

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Sorry I did misunderstand your question. I can't replicate what you describe.
    In earlier versions of Access, the option "show windows on Taskbar" lead to a separate taskbar for each open form/report so you would see multiple icons. all from the one instance of Access. So specifying a Startup form would lead to two taskbar icons. But I can't find anything the same in 2007.

If you open Task Manager are there two Access instances there as well?
    Regards
    John