3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I used Yahoo site builder to design my web site and was wondering is it possible to only give the option to download a demo program and not give a save option? And if so is there a way to attach some kind of counter that would let me know how many downloads are being downloaded.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ababenchrist View Post
    I used Yahoo site builder to design my web site and was wondering is it possible to only give the option to download a demo program and not give a save option?
    I don't understand the distinction between download and save. These seem to be the same thing.

And if so is there a way to attach some kind of counter that would let me know how many downloads are being downloaded.
    Your web server logs or other statistics should provide information on the number of accesses to each and every file on your site. However, if that is not convenient, you can use a script to deliver the download, and in the script increment a counter somewhere (e.g., text file or database).

I use a script to provide downloads of high resolution photos, the purpose of which is to hide their true location so people don't link directly to them. For the counter part, you might need to hunt around for something compatible with the scripting language used on your web server, e.g., ASP or PHP.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi jscher2000

Iím sorry for the confusion what I was trying to say was, I want the user to only be able to install the demo, not have the option to save to install later. I have a limited use on the demo and by giving them the option to save the user could then use up the demo and then re-install again.

As far as a counter goes, I know how to insert a counter on a web page, I was trying to find something that would go directly to the download so that I might be able to keep track of the number of downloads.

Thanks
    I want the user to only be able to install the demo, not have the option to save to install later.
    I don't think you can override the natural behavior of the browser unless you send the download through a plugin, such as a "movie" in the Flash player or a Java applet.

I have a limited use on the demo and by giving them the option to save the user could then use up the demo and then re-install again.
    I think this issue usually is handled with hidden files or registry entries, but it's not something I've ever had to research.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi jscher2000
    Thank you
    I'll do a little more research and see what I can find.