2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Has anyone figured out a way to have Word add-ins in SharePoint?

There is now pressure at work to make everything "SharePoint-centric". The idea is to open workgroup templates from SharePoint, thereby opening Word.

HOWEVER... what about my global tempate with its custom ribbon, etc? This is added in by Word from a mapped location. The only way I know to map word to a location in SharePoint is to spoof the system by associating a SharePoint location with a drive letter. The problem with that is finding, and reserving, an unused drive letter in a large corporation. As far as I know Windows systems only allow the standard 24 letters to be used.

To me all of this invites the dreaded "unknown unknowns" to rise up and wreak havoc.

I would be grateful for any experiences, ideas, references, or suggestions!
    Stylus

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stylus View Post
    I would be grateful for any experiences, ideas, references, or suggestions!
    I am unable to offer any ideas, references, or suggestions, but I am able to offer my sympathy. My employers have removed all of our file shares, replacing them with SharePoints. Some of the SharePoint functionality is very useful, but some of the features we can no longer use (such as offline folders) are a major loss. My team keep our global add-ins in a local folder, with the reference copy on a SharePoint.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Stuart:

Well, your sympathies are a start!

My team keep our global add-ins in a local folder, with the reference copy on a SharePoint
    What do you mean by the above? Are all the user-instances of Word accessing the add-ins from their own local (C drive) folders? Or from the "reference" copy in SP?
    Stylus

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stylus View Post
    What do you mean by the above? Are all the user-instances of Word accessing the add-ins from their own local (C drive) folders? Or from the "reference" copy in SP?
    Everyone has a local copy of the add-in, and has to go collect updates from the SharePoint when needed. Not very good is it!!!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StuartR View Post
    Everyone has a local copy of the add-in, and has to go collect updates from the SharePoint when needed. Not very good is it!!!
    You may want to check out the following for information on synching folders with SharePoint:

Outlook as a SharePoint client
    Synchronising SharePoint Folders with offline briefcase
    Using SyncToy to synchronize offline SharePoint documents
    Collego Reader for SharePoint

Joe
    Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Stuart

I'm starting a new job and face the same problem, now with Office and SharePoint 2010 on Win 7. Lots of fruitless Googling suggests that my strategy is either too complex or impossible to implement in SharePoint.

The gents in networking propose what you describe in your post, but with the benefit of an update being pushed out every time someone logs on.

How has your method worked out? Have you found a better way in the last years?
    Stylus

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Have you checked out any of the third party software vendors for SharePoint addons?

Joe

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    So far, all of my clients have the documents open on user's computer, so my add-on templates work as usual. But when I needed to combine files it was cumbersome and could only done by copying all files to to my computer and combining them and then creating and uploading a new file. I found that I could create a network place (in some installations SharePoint would create them for me) and use it like a drive from within Sharepoint. I haven't had the need to create a network place in Windows 7, but here's an instruction for how to do it. Perhaps it will help.

Pam

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe:

I hadn't thought of that! I'll report back if I find anything useful - I can't be the only person facing this issue.

Pam:

I will talk to the guys and see if they are willing to have a network place function as a central connecting point for all Word users. Indeed, I have realized that the company I work in now is so small that reserving a drive letter for this may be workable. However, I don't know if such a structure will be covered by the SharePoint security features they feel comfortable with.

So, two possibilities to look into... Thank you both!
    Stylus