Thread: HP Experts Day

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I note that HP is having an 'Ask the Experts Day' all day on November 19 at HP Experts. specifically for Windows 7. For those of us with HP computers, it may (or may not) prove to be a valuable source.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by peterg View Post
    I note that HP is having an 'Ask the Experts Day' all day on November 19 at HP Experts. specifically for Windows 7. For those of us with HP computers, it may (or may not) prove to be a valuable source.
    It will probably turn out to be a mega-whinge about "Why haven't you yet produced a Windows 7 driver for the HP xxxx printer?" (iterate through all possible values of xxxx!).
    And that's even with most of them supported "out of the Windows 7 box"...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    It will probably turn out to be a mega-whinge about "Why haven't you yet produced a Windows 7 driver for the HP xxxx printer?" (iterate through all possible values of xxxx!).
    And that's even with most of them supported "out of the Windows 7 box"...
    To quote directly from the spiel: You'll have access to more than 75 experts on Windows 7. Talk with the best and brightest minds at HP, Microsoft, and Symantec. Highly knowledgeable members from this Forum as well as Microsoft's Forums will also answer questions and share their insights.

I, for one, have a valuable (to me) HP laptop that I have not yet installed Windows 7 on, and I need all the help I can get. I want an upgrade, not a clean install, as it is loaded with HP's own gear, and I want continuity in HP support. With luck this will be highly supportive, and it's free and online all day.

If you want to grumble about things that don't support Win 7, yesterday I received an email from Iolo about System Mechanic to announce that their forthcoming version which will support Win 7. It seems that the version to which many, including me, have subscribed, is not, um, compatible with Windows 7. I thought the behaviour strange, but given that it is a subscription product I think the least they could have done is make an announcement that Win 7 was not supported and early adopters should hold off on the System Mechanic until it is ready, and will be compensated for loss of subscription time. As for liability if it really messes up your system, well, good luck.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by peterg View Post
    To quote directly from the spiel: You'll have access to more than 75 experts on Windows 7. Talk with the best and brightest minds at HP, Microsoft, and Symantec. Highly knowledgeable members from this Forum as well as Microsoft's Forums will also answer questions and share their insights.

I, for one, have a valuable (to me) HP laptop that I have not yet installed Windows 7 on, and I need all the help I can get. I want an upgrade, not a clean install, as it is loaded with HP's own gear, and I want continuity in HP support. With luck this will be highly supportive, and it's free and online all day.

If you want to grumble about things that don't support Win 7, yesterday I received an email from Iolo about System Mechanic to announce that their forthcoming version which will support Win 7. It seems that the version to which many, including me, have subscribed, is not, um, compatible with Windows 7. I thought the behaviour strange, but given that it is a subscription product I think the least they could have done is make an announcement that Win 7 was not supported and early adopters should hold off on the System Mechanic until it is ready, and will be compensated for loss of subscription time. As for liability if it really messes up your system, well, good luck.
    Peter,
    I am a long time user of System Mechanic, through very early versions 4 or 5 to my present version 9. I have XP,Vista and Win7 RC triple booting and have not experienced any problems with version 9 and Win 7.
    The only specific problem I have seen is the one I reported on ( I think in the Security Forum ) is that SM 9 and Microsoft Windows Essentials are directly clashing. SM will NOT even run with WSE enabled. I have been working with MS and Iolo on this and supplied many file and log dumps to MS to look at. Thus far they have not come up with an answer but I expect to hear from MS techs soon. ( I hope ) There is a workaround but not a fix at this point. I have put the SM startup .exe file in the MSE excluded list and that seems to allow SM to run now. At a slightly lower security level though. I'll post a report ASAP when something is decided on this.

Meanwhile SM Ver. 9.5 is expected out in late November.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by viking33 View Post
    Peter,
    I am a long time user of System Mechanic, through very early versions 4 or 5 to my present version 9. I have XP,Vista and Win7 RC triple booting and have not experienced any problems with version 9 and Win 7.
    The only specific problem I have seen is the one I reported on ( I think in the Security Forum ) is that SM 9 and Microsoft Windows Essentials are directly clashing. SM will NOT even run with WSE enabled. I have been working with MS and Iolo on this and supplied many file and log dumps to MS to look at. Thus far they have not come up with an answer but I expect to hear from MS techs soon. ( I hope ) There is a workaround but not a fix at this point. I have put the SM startup .exe file in the MSE excluded list and that seems to allow SM to run now. At a slightly lower security level though. I'll post a report ASAP when something is decided on this.

Meanwhile SM Ver. 9.5 is expected out in late November.
    Yes, I saw and noted with interest your report of the conflict with MWE, and on re-reading the email from Iolo, I see that it does begin with a statement that System Mechanic is compatible and all of the hoopla is over a version that will have special features for Windows 7. Simply put, I was wrong. My apologies to Iolo and to Loungers.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Was HP Experts Day a ripoff? There was no mention of fees in the HP spiel that advertised it in advance, but I had a mountain of questions I wanted to ask but didn't get around to until 10 minutes before it was over, which was ten minutes after I had had a monumental crash from an approved BIOS flash, and whoever I connected to was asking money for solving the problem.

I thought this was supposed to be an HP affair for HP customers. I have four late-model HP computers, at least five HP printers of varying generations, two pocket drives, scanners, the works, much of it by coincidence I might add (having little brand loyalty), and they want more money to fix their own patches and service releases?

I am not what you might call a happy customer

Edited to add that it appears that I was played for a sucker by an independent outfit using the HP event as bait. Fortunately it didn't go far enough to cost me any money (they wanted my credit card number), but I lost my opportunity to get any real-time help.