Thread: Followed Forums

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Please pardon me if this has already been adressed during my hiatus but I'm searching and can't find it. Shouldn't the "icons" in one's list of subscriptions indicate which forums have unread posts or threads?

[attachment=86508:2009-11-15_170800.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Both in Followed Forums and in the Lounge Lobby, the forum icons don't indicate the presence of unread posts consistently. The WindowsSecrets staff has taken this up with InvisionPower (the developer of IP.Board) - see for example the last point in Fixed items in known issues as of Day 8.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HansV View Post
    Both in Followed Forums and in the Lounge Lobby, the forum icons don't indicate the presence of unread posts consistently. The WindowsSecrets staff has taken this up with InvisionPower (the developer of IP.Board) - see for example the last point in Fixed items in known issues as of Day 8.
    Thanks Hans. I guess this'll have to be my clue.

[attachment=86509:2009-11-15_180839.png]

Now, on to find another "fix" I think I've seen somewhere that has to do with opening a new tab or window on a link. Clicking on YOUR link did NOT open a new tab or window.

Edited later: Brian's "fix list" for Day 2 says it was put back to the way it was in Version 2, but clicking your link opened in this same window, causing me to have to hit the Back button to continue my post.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigaldoc View Post
    Edited later: Brian's "fix list" for Day 2 says it was put back to the way it was in Version 2, but clicking your link opened in this same window, causing me to have to hit the Back button to continue my post.
    That appears to be browser-dependent. The link that I posted opens in a new tab in Internet Explorer 8 but in the same tab in Firefox 3.5.4, for me at least.

Brian Livingston
    Which links open new tabs and which open in the same window is a subject that Dan Engler and Tony Johnston and I are still studying. There are many places where this behavior would be affected by any change.

In general, on the Web:

The current window changes if a link is clicked using the left button of a mouse;

A new tab is opened if a link is clicked with the middle button of a mouse.

For the time being, try using the middle button to click links that you want to open in a new tab. This always works, until we find a general rule that applies to all links.

Take Wikipedia as an example. Like almost every Web site, Wikipedia hyperlinks always change the current window when clicked. Links to external sites are suffixed in Wikipedia with a small arrow, but even those links open in the same window when clicked. To open a new tab in Wikipedia or other sites, you click the middle mouse button.

Google is the same, although it supports a preference page that allows all clicks to open a new window. To make this function more obvious, WindowsSecrets.com supports an option box at the top of every newsletter in its library. This is also being considered. See, for example, the check box under the table of contents on the following page:

http://windowssecrets.com/comp/091112#contents

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Still true also in Fx 3.5.5 as well. In my installation of IE8 on XP it opens a new window but not a tab.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    In my installation of IE8 on XP it opens a new window but not a tab.
    What is your setting for following external links in IE8? Select Tools | Options... and click Settings in the Tabs section to check this.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Livingston View Post
    A new tab is opened if a link is clicked with the middle button of a mouse.

For the time being, try using the middle button to click links that you want to open in a new tab. This always works, until we find a general rule that applies to all links.
    Unfortunately, my "middle button" is a scroll wheel which doesn't function as you mentioned, so I guess I'll just have to make it a point to use the right mouse button and select new tab. No sweat, I can remember that...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HansV View Post
    What is your setting for following external links in IE8? Select Tools | Options... and click Settings in the Tabs section to check this.
    Sorry to be so dense, Hans, but which one?

[attachment=86510:2009-11-15_184940.png]

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    You can also hold down Ctrl while clicking a link to open it in a new tab.
    The Tabs tab of Tools | Options in Firefox has a check box that forces the new tab to be activated:

[attachment=86511:x.png]
    • File Type: png x.png (9.3 KB, 0 views)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Oh, that's long been set on my FX. Sorry...

[attachment=86513:2009-11-15_185810.png]

Thanks
    Unfortunately, my "middle button" is a scroll wheel which doesn't function as you mentioned, so I guess I'll just have to make it a point to use the right mouse button and select new tab. No sweat, I can remember that...
    I don't know about other mice, but the old-school Dell "corded" mouse has a clickable scroll wheel. In most contexts, it sets a mode where you can scroll up or down by moving the mouse, but on a link, it acts like a middle button. But since my finger is subject to slippage when clicking a wheel, I personally use Ctrl+click (left button) in most cases.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    I don't know about other mice, but the old-school Dell "corded" mouse has a clickable scroll wheel. In most contexts, it sets a mode where you can scroll up or down by moving the mouse, but on a link, it acts like a middle button. But since my finger is subject to slippage when clicking a wheel, I personally use Ctrl+click (left button) in most cases.
    I suppose you're right, Jefferson, the ctrl-click on the left button is a one-step rather than right-click and selecting new tab. The problem is that my Logitech cordless optical has a programmable scroll wheel including the wheel, right-wheel and left-wheel. When I look at the LONG list of functions for the "middle button" I have no idea which one is "open link in a new tab." (And it's a LONG list!)

[attachment=86537:2009-11-16_162607.png]