Thread: Sound Schemes

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

I wonder if this is a bug in Windows 7. I like a noisy machine so I install the Office sounds, I like it when Avast tells me that it's been updated, I like all the clicks, beeps and warmings.

I decided to change the sound scheme in Windows 7 to hear what the different ones sound like. There's so many to try after all.
    Once I did that, all of the sounds for the other programs disappeared. No more office, no more Avast, etc. Anyone run into this? I tried Googling and the only mention of it was this:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/cjacks/archive...windows-7.aspx

I didn't understand what he was saying so it didn't help me. I never worried about it before but now I'm afraid to change anything again.

Anybody got a solution / suggestion?

Thank you!
    Louise

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Chris Jackson's blog post mentions that this is indeed a problem with Windows 7. Application sounds are only stored in the currently active sound scheme; when you switch to another sound scheme, this completely overwrites the current sound scheme, deleting all application sound settings.

His workaround is as follows:
    1. Set up sound for all applications the way you want it.
    2. Windows 7 comes with a utility PowerShell. Start this utility.
    3. Copy the code that starts with "foreach ($app in Get-ChildItem -Path "HKCU:\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps")" from the blog post into a script window.
    4. Run the script (and save it for later use).
    The script will copy the application sound settings into each of the sound schemes on your PC, so that if you activate a sound scheme, the application sound settings are copied with it into the current sound scheme.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HansV View Post
    Chris Jackson's blog post mentions that this is indeed a problem with Windows 7. Application sounds are only stored in the currently active sound scheme; when you switch to another sound scheme, this completely overwrites the current sound scheme, deleting all application sound settings.

His workaround is as follows:
    1. Set up sound for all applications the way you want it.
    2. Windows 7 comes with a utility PowerShell. Start this utility.
    3. Copy the code that starts with "foreach ($app in Get-ChildItem -Path "HKCU:\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps")" from the blog post into a script window.
    4. Run the script (and save it for later use).
    The script will copy the application sound settings into each of the sound schemes on your PC, so that if you activate a sound scheme, the application sound settings are copied with it into the current sound scheme.
    Hi Hans,

Thanks for your reply! I found PowerShell when I did a search. It brought up a blue window and I copied from the blog. It copied off centered just like the post. Is it supposed to do that?
    How do I "run the script"? and save it? It didn't see any "run" command on the drop down menu.

Sorry to be so dense.

Thanks again,
    Louise

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't have PowerShell myself, so I can only point you to another resource: Running Windows PowerShell Scripts.
    Perhaps someone who uses PowerShell will have a simpler instruction for you.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HansV View Post
    I don't have PowerShell myself, so I can only point you to another resource: Running Windows PowerShell Scripts.
    Perhaps someone who uses PowerShell will have a simpler instruction for you.
    Thanks Hans, Will have to look into further. At least I feel better knowing it's harmless. I tried following the instructions from the link you gave me but it's going to take awhile since I keep getting errors. I copied and saved the "script" in notepad but it just looks funny to me. I wonder if each line is supposed to be done one at a time. I don't know.

I'm surprised that there hasn't been more articles on the sound scheme problem on the web.

Take care,
    Louise