New Lounger

My first post here and not sure if it in the right spot. If not can you point me to the correct place?

I have a new laptop that I formatted clean and partitioned 50 GB on C: and 250 on D:

The person who helped me said I can put all the data on D but he didn't know how.

I want to keep all programs on C and move USER and all the folders in it to D: How to do this?

What I ultimately want is when I am using word or excell, my music, or getting downloads off the internet is for those files to be saved in D:USERs in their appropriate folders.

I have read on google search many ideas and ways but am very confused what is the simply easy no hassle way.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Super Moderator
    Renton, Washington, USA
    There is no HASSLE free way of doing it and many times the linkage can and will get messed up. I found that it just works the best when one is to use the files structure "As designed" or manually select where you want to save and open your files.

I think you are going to find that a 50 gig partition just may not be what is needed for Windows 7 or Vista. When you start adding all of your programs they do tend to take up more space that one thinks.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Silver Lounger
    Welcome to the Lounge.

It's quite simple, same as in for example Windows XP, to move the individual folders such as Documents etc.

See for example my post in a thread about Windows 7 RC (in the Beta forum). Post 783770.

As you say, there are examples on the net, as this one with pictures.
    Windows 7 - Moving My Documents

But my suggestion requires fewer steps. And I don't think you want to move every folder (the whole user profile).

I'm sure that someone also will mention the Libraries that are new to Windows 7 (similar to that in the Media Player); just include the folders that you would like to appear in, say, Documents. But in the case of Libraries one should read a bit to understand how they work.