New Lounger
    Thanks
    Does anyone know of a driver installation program compatable with Win 7 64bit machine. I need safe, reliable program from company with a good track record. Want it to install as well as find. Thank You

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    "If it Ain't broke" don't fix it".
    In my book there is NO program that will be worth the money in tracking drivers. There is NO need to update them unless you have problems.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The Windows 7: Windows Update will take care of most essential updates (although I've had a few troubles with it trying to automatically add nvidia drivers that dont recognise my monitor).

As Dave says you're only asking for trouble otherwise.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceXV View Post
    The Windows 7: Windows Update will take care of most essential updates (although I've had a few troubles with it trying to automatically add nvidia drivers that dont recognise my monitor).

As Dave says you're only asking for trouble otherwise.
    1. It is well-known that the drivers which are installed during initial installation of the operating system are only "in box" drivers, i.e., they are basic drivers supplied to Microsoft by the various peripheral manufacturers, which Microsoft graciously includes to allow many/most hardware to function from the start.

2. It is also well-known that it is not advisable to install drivers that are thereafter available via Automatic Updates. Why the drivers which come via Automatic Updates are problematic I cannot say. But they are often problematic.

3. Lastly, it is also well-known and much advised that one go to the manufacturer's website to obtain updated hardware drivers.
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    2. It is also well-known that it is not advisable to install drivers that are thereafter available via Automatic Updates. Why the drivers which come via Automatic Updates are problematic I cannot say. But they are often problematic.
    Microsoft will not post them until they (Microsoft) has approved them. In the mean time the OEM may have already posted NEWER drivers at their site. Most of the time, that I have seen issues with Microsoft posted drivers, is that a newer one has already been installed and the one from Windows Update is a older one, which when installed messed things up.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    "If it Ain't broke" don't fix it".
    In my book there is NO program that will be worth the money in tracking drivers. There is NO need to update them unless you have problems.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Driver Genius Professional Edition - works perfectly on both Win7 and Vista 64bit. Backups current drivers before install of new ones each time you do an update. Win7 64bit on my Acer Timeline (Thin) laptop - after install didn't give me a working CD/DVD driver, but Driver Genius did the internet search, found the driver, installed it and shows the drive letter of my drive. Cost $, but very worth it in time, find, download and update.