3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have an old Dell (about 4 years old)using Windows XP SP2. It has been occasionaly giving me the blue screen of death. It usually clears up upon reboot. This time, after many attempts, the blue screen continues to appear. I tried booting in all Safe Mode categories but I still get this screen. I can access the Setup Screen but don't want to fool with it blindly. Is there anything I can do?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Do you get any Stop Error message? Any error code you can tell us; any other information about recent hardware or software changes?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wfjdi0r1 View Post
    I have an old Dell (about 4 years old)using Windows XP SP2. It has been occasionaly giving me the blue screen of death. It usually clears up upon reboot. This time, after many attempts, the blue screen continues to appear. I tried booting in all Safe Mode categories but I still get this screen. I can access the Setup Screen but don't want to fool with it blindly. Is there anything I can do?
    Is there an error message that appears on the BSOD screen?

At what point in the startup process does the BSOD happen, such as before or after the logon screen, after the desktop comes up, etc.?

Have you added any new hardware or software recently that could be problematic?

(PS I also have an "old" Dell desktop about the same age as yours )

Edited: Sorry Argus, I guess I don't type as fast as you...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigaldoc View Post
    Is there an error message that appears on the BSOD screen?

At what point in the startup process does the BSOD happen, such as before or after the logon screen, after the desktop comes up, etc.?

Have you added any new hardware or software recently that could be problematic?

(PS I also have an "old" Dell desktop about the same age as yours )

Edited: Sorry Argus, I guess I don't type as fast as you...
    It happens before the logon screen, before the desktop comes on. I see a black background with a Windows sign for about 2 seconds before the blue screen.

No new hardware or software.

The error message says if this is the first time you are seeing this, reboot. It also asks about new hardware, drivers and advises to run chkdsk /F.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wfjdi0r1 View Post
    The error message says if this is the first time you are seeing this, reboot. It also asks about new hardware, drivers and advises to run chkdsk /F.
    I was going to suggest this sounds like it may be a memory or corruption problem.

I would physically check your RAM - i.e. make sure it is firmly seated, perhaps even take the cards out and replace them.

Otherwise, a repair install my be the order of the day, followed by a full chkdsk. It could be that a file - vital for start-up - has become corrupted.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I "second" what Leif said!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I'll try to reseat the ram.