3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Without any warning I now have two sets of ICONS on my desktop. One set I have been able to move and arrange but can't do anything with the duplicates. Can't Delete them and if I try to move them all I get is a lined box.

If I select the option to auto arrange both groups merge into a scrambled mess.

Any Help would be most appreciated.

Running WinXP Home SP3

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HansV View Post
    Thanx Hans, but NO. I think my problem stems from something else. Besides which I know NOTHING about going into the Registry.

Hopefully somebody will come up with a different FIX.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PaJan View Post
    I think my problem stems from something else.
    I'm not quite sure how you can be so categorical about that, since you give no evidence for that opinion.

From the link which Hans posted:
    "Every time when you place a file or a shortcut on your Desktop, you get 2 icons. If one icon is deleted, the other will also be deleted."

Does this happen? (Ignore where the icon or icons appear on or disappear from the desktop.)

If it does, then the article Hans pointed to gives a solution.

If it doesn't, then maybe you need to look, with Windows Explorer, say, into the contents of the two folders:
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop
    and
    C:\Documents and Settings\yourusername\Desktop
    to see whether there are duplicates, some or all...

Please post back with what you find, and then people will be able to assist further!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    I'm not quite sure how you can be so categorical about that, since you give no evidence for that opinion.

From the link which Hans posted:
    "Every time when you place a file or a shortcut on your Desktop, you get 2 icons. If one icon is deleted, the other will also be deleted."

Does this happen? (Ignore where the icon or icons appear on or disappear from the desktop.)

If it does, then the article Hans pointed to gives a solution.

If it doesn't, then maybe you need to look, with Windows Explorer, say, into the contents of the two folders:
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop
    and
    C:\Documents and Settings\yourusername\Desktop
    to see whether there are duplicates, some or all...

Please post back with what you find, and then people will be able to assist further!

I didn't mean to be categorical in any way!! The problem first appeared after changing resolution settings, I THINK. It had nothing to do with adding a shortcut to the desktop. I will check out YOUR most recent suggestions and post the results shortly.

Thank you very much

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PaJan View Post
    I didn't mean to be categorical in any way!! The problem first appeared after changing resolution settings, I THINK. It had nothing to do with adding a shortcut to the desktop. I will check out YOUR most recent suggestions and post the results shortly.

Thank you very much
    Attention Hans and Batcher: I have resolved the problem in this thread. I used the Windows RESTORE feature and everything seems to be back to normal. ALSO: I think I now know WHEN the problem started but still NOT the WHY of it all. Another person was using this machine and went into the TRASH BIN and restored 3 items and then the ICONS got all screwed up. As I said, I don't understand WHY it did that but I was able to duplicate that action and thus the WHEN it occurred.

Again THANX ALL so very much for your prompt attention.