3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Backup to network software wanted

So, I've got my little home network happening (NT4 server and 2 Win98 machines). Now I want to really start using it.

I want a program that will back up my documents unattended. It should run with Task Scheduler to back up my files to the network on a regular basis. I really don't want a high-end package (i.e. can't afford to layout that many bucks), after all this isn't a corporate environment. Ideally, it should run from the client and not the server (that makes sense, right?). Suggestions anyone?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Backup to network software wanted

Hi
    Nice one. There's nothing like a successful little network, but why would you want to back-up each workstation? Imagine if you had several more in your net! Would it not make more sense to write files to hard disk on the server, so they are accessible to both users? You would then need only a minimal hard drive on each work station and only one big one on the server. You would need to back-up just the one system.

In any event, a proper back-up regime is rather more than mere software. Where were you thinking of storing your files? The essential point about back-ups is that you can take them off-site. This is a prerequisite of any insurance.
    You have a number of low-to-medium price options :
    <UL><LI>have a removable hard-drive running on your server which can be, er.. removed each night and taken off-site. You would back-up to this using the built-in Windows software. I refer to the caddy system, as distinct from ZIP, IOMEGA and the rest.
    <LI>use a CD writer and CD-RW set up.
    <LI>Use on-line storage. The only free one I know of at the moment is <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.myvisto.com> here. </A>[/list]This is a very brief outline, and there are other considerations. Should give you something to think about though.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks MerC,
    Those are all good points, however my needs are simple right now. (Besides, the only off-site location I have is my car!) Our backup routine right now is anything but routine. It's kinda like flossing. After you visit the dentist you floss every day, then every week, then a few times a month. With an automated system, we let the computer take care of the backups. That's one more task we won't have to bother with. By saving locally and backing up on the network, we keep the files in two location. Sure, if the place burns down we're screwed, but our data will be the least our worries at that point.

Thanks

Are you talking about backing up files on the W98 machines to the server?
    How about a simple batch file on the server that simply copies the files to the server. Using the Scheduler service, you could get it to run (e.g.) every night at midnight.<pre>copy machine1c:documents*.doc d:backupdocuments</pre>

No compression of course, but free.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That's a novel approach, Leif. My concern is allowing the server to access the clients. I fear if someone should manage to gain control of my server, they'd have a field day with the the two connected machines. Right now the clients can access the server, but not the other way around. (Although I have a firewall set up, I don't want to take any chances.)

Thanks

How about scheduled copies from each client to the server then?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You should also consider the possibility of theft. PC's are a target for thieves; but you could leave a backup tape/cd-rom lying on your desk and only a competitor is likely to have any interest in stealing it.
    We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

r-t-f-m

I've been using a shareware program called Second Copy, available from <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.centered.com>http://www.centered.com</A>. It has a free trial period and I think it'll do just what you want. And no, I have nothing to do with the company.

Mike